IGNORED

non-motorycleyc spefici Gore Tex rain gear on a bike

KiteSquid

Sorry about the spelling errors in the tiltel of this trread..... I ment to call it:

Non-motorcycle specific Gore Tex (DWR) rain gear on a bike

The recent rain gear thread got me thinking.

Currently I own a Nelson-Rigg AX-1 Mark III two piece rain suit to ride in.

I also own some LL Bean Gore Tex rain gear to fly kites in and can spend all day in the rain without that "i live in a plastic bag" feel of sealed rain gear like my Nelson-Rigg AX-1 Mark III....... but the coat I have is 3/4 length so it would not work well on a motorcycle....

I can buy non-motorcycle marketed Gore Tex rain gear for a LOT less than the stuff that is marketed for the motorcycle market.

Has anybody used this type of product on a bike?????

what did you like/dislike????

Please keep your responses to Gore Tex treated fabrics or other Durable Water Repellent treatments. I want to find gear that is water proof and breathable for higher rider comfort.

Edited by KiteSquid

We have 2 sets of the LL beam Gortex gear we use for the bike. This stuff is the storm proof and packable. It works...not to hot after the rain and easy on and off on the side of the road...well nothing is easy on the side of the road but it is not bad to get into.

It is the stow-away Gortex. It is pricey but I did not want to get soaked while riding. LL beam stuff has always been top notch and worth the money IMHO. We looked at everything under the sun before buying this stuff. Finally gave up and paid the cash for this rain gear. I am very satisfied with it. LL Beam test all their stuff.

We have been through several storms some as long a 4 hours in the rain,the only thing that got wet was our faces.

IT is expensive, but I do not think you will need to buy anymore rain gear if you have this stuff. I think it is about $150 for the coat and little less for the pants.

Thanks!!!!

What do you do with the hood on the coat?? Wear it over your helmet, wear it under your helmet or roll it inside the jacket?

It does not look like it is detachable.... is it?

What do I do with hood? IT is according to how bad it is raining. If it is bad...wear it under the helmet...light rain...tuck it in the jacket.

It is not detachable.

I have been having good results wearing my hunting gear that has either Gore-Tex or the Gander Mountain TechH2O.

I have not been able to tell any difference in either breath ability or water and wind proofness between the Gore-Tex brand or the TechH2o brand.

I can select from my hunting inventory the necessary amount of insulation based on the weather of the day. It means that depending on the weather, some times I am wearing Camo and some times Blaze Orange, or combination thereof.