IGNORED

Bead Breaker

RedRider

Will a large C clamp work for a bead breaker for the front tire? I don't have a truck bumper to jack against like was suggested in another thread.

RR

Should work. Work easy if you have a board across the rim on one side so it is just pulling on one side at a time.Put clamp on board and tire. Understand??

Will a large C clamp work for a bead breaker for the front tire? I don't have a truck bumper to jack against like was suggested in another thread.

RR

Let us know if this works, I am in need of new skins soon and just priced ME880's front and rear on the rims (I take them the rims) for 460.00.

Seems high.

:crying:

Most of the time I change my own tires and I use a C clamp and it works fine. Also I've found if you have a old steel 30 gal barrel it makes a good platform to work on. May not be a 30 gal but you get the idea.

Really helps to have a second set of hands when you are taking the tire off the rim and putting it back on.

I have even balanced my own tires but I've found a guy that has a machine that will do it for cheap.

Good luck and have some bandaids close by.......

BOO

Guest seuadr

big c clamp is what i use. works fine, but as mentioned use a board. not just for better sucess, but if you aren't careful and the tire is really seated good, i've punched holes right through the sidewall! :eek:

I actually got the bigger one for $45?

Have a lot of motorcycle mower and tractor tires to change though. I also like to throw a piece of ply wood down between bead breaker and rim so my chrome / aluminum rims dont get scuffed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961&xcamp=google&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&zmam=13262200&zmas=12&zmac=112&zmap=92961

Let us know if this works, I am in need of new skins soon and just priced ME880's front and rear on the rims (I take them the rims) for 460.00.

Seems high.

That is really high. I would suggest looking at the Dunlop Elite3 or Avon Venom tires. The Metzlers have a history of delaminating on this bike. Not good.

I would expect the Dunlop and/or Avons to be under $300 for the set - delivered. Check Denniskirk.com, swmototires.com, motorcyclesuperstore.com. One of them usually have free shipping when you buy a set.

RR

I lay the wheel flat on the floor, usually on a towel or cardboard to protect the rim, and then walk on it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it doesn't I lay the wheel on the floor under the bumper of the pickup truck and put a hydraulic jack, (bottle type), between the two and start jacking. The bottom of the jack is placed on the tire at the edge of the rim. This always works.

:Venture:

Well, I got the tire changed. Went and picked up an 8" C clamp for $9 at Fleet Farm and used that to break the bead. Put a 1x2x6" piece of oak I had laying around on the bottom of the tire overlapping the rim. I tried to also use a piece of this oak on the side I was trying to break, but when tightening the clamp, it wouldn't stay flat. So the screw foot kept walking off the board.

In the end, I just put the screw foot at the edge of the rim and tightened the clamp. It worked great. Ran the tire around 180 degrees, flipped it over, and unbeaded the other side.

Didn't have any trouble getting the tire loose from the rim with the tire spoons, however, had huge trouble getting the rim out from the tire. It's not quite the same as working with a dual sport or dirt bike tire. The rim comes right out on those.

Anyhooo.., got the new(er) tire spooned on without any trouble and went to pop the beads. Unfortunately, my little compressor didn't have the umph to get that done, so off to Fleet Farm again. Beads popped, brake discs reinstalled and torques, tire replaced, and bike off the lift. Ready to go.

RR

Balance it?

Two cinder blocks set on end with grove end up. Place wheel between then with axle in it reasting on blocks. Spin wheel slowly. Do this several times. If it stops in same spot all the time it is out of balance. Place small weight at top of tire. Spin again. If it stops in same place you need bigger weight. Trick is to get it where it doesn't stop in same place but stops in different place each time you spin it without using a ton of weights. Less weight the better. You have to take a little time with it.

Seems high.

i find me880 to get the best miles i have 70,000 miles on my royal star and i ride pretty hard in the mt. of va. drageing stuff all the time. i was getting about 8,000 on the frount now i run a me880 rear tire on the front rever and now have 30,000 on it with still 6 m.m of tread left like i said i ride hard with no ill efects it has a little cuping but that is norm any way works as good as any in the wet i mount & bal my tires dont know if a shop will do it because of libility isu hope this help :thumbsup:

Edited by billod
price seam real hi

Balance it?

Two cinder blocks set on end with grove end up. Place wheel between then with axle in it reasting on blocks. Spin wheel slowly. Do this several times. If it stops in same spot all the time it is out of balance. Place small weight at top of tire. Spin again. If it stops in same place you need bigger weight. Trick is to get it where it doesn't stop in same place but stops in different place each time you spin it without using a ton of weights. Less weight the better. You have to take a little time with it.

I forgot to mention. I got lazy with the balancing and put in Dyna Beads. Have them on the rear of the Venture and the rear of the KLR. They seams to work nicely. This will be the first long trip with the beads. We shall see.

RR

I saw one that was made out of 2 2x4 strapped at one end and used a rubber mallet.

One 2x4 under tire one over top and mallet between 2x4 and tire and push down.

Used a saws-all to cut tire off and used 8 12" straps to compress tire to mount the tire.

Using the straps to squeeze the beads together making tire in side diameter smaller and would fit over rim with out any tools. Something you can try, the local dealer charge $16.00 to mount tire off bike so I let them do it.

I saw one that was made out of 2 2x4 strapped at one end and used a rubber mallet.

One 2x4 under tire one over top and mallet between 2x4 and tire and push down.

Used a saws-all to cut tire off and used 8 12" straps to compress tire to mount the tire.

Using the straps to squeeze the beads together making tire in side diameter smaller and would fit over rim with out any tools. Something you can try, the local dealer charge $16.00 to mount tire off bike so I let them do it.

I really like that idea about the lengths of 2x4 strapped together. I think that will work. May have to try that next time I change my rear 'cause I'm not sure an 8" C clamp will get over the tire.

Getting the tire on and off the rim was fairly easy using 3 tire spoons. I have them for my KLR in case I get a flat. It has tubes and you have to get inside the tire to fix 'em.

RR