IGNORED

SOS : Fork Spring Cap Rounded OFF

Got my new progressive springs today, so tore into the job. One side is done, the other....A &$@# PO must have done something at one point, the Fork Spring Cap is completely rounded out.....Anybody got a trick of the trade on how to get this B*#@* out? Greatly appreciated.

:fingers-crossed-emo

A couple of suggestions. Use either at your discretion and risk.

Take a 1/8" drill and drill two holes in the cap. Makes these holes as close to center as you can, but still get into enough metal so they can stand rotational torque. You do not want drill to cut into threaded area of fork tube. You will almost for sure cut into O-ring, but these can be obtained at a hardware store, or I have some new ones in a kit I got at Harbor Freight and I can send you one.

Then take a piece of steel bar, probably 3/8" thick at least, 18" or so long and an inch wide. Drill a matching pair of holes in the steel bar the same distance apart as the two holes in cap.

Place two hardened dowels through holes in bar and into holes in cap. Use bar as wrench to try and unscrew cap.

Tricky part will be getting holes correct distance apart in bar to match cap. Might be easier to determine distance between holes needed in cap, then drill bar first. Then match drill cap using bar as template.

A couple of drill bits the same size as holes drilled could possibly be used as dowel pins.

Since you have one cap off, look at it to see how deep to drill and offset of holes.

Second possibility is to use dremel type cutoff wheel and cut notch in cap towards O.D.

You will need a wide, and at least an 1/8" deep slot.

Then take dull chisel and try to drift cap out using hammer.

These are just a couple of ways that come to mind.

I have a spare fork tube if all else fails.

I also have a spare cap.

Gary

First things first.........are the pinch bolts at the top of the tubes all loose? I've seen a lot of stripped out holes and round cap nuts because the PO's didn't loosen the pinch bolts first.

Ok....this is kind of a reach but I've done it before. Depends on how bad it is torn up and rather or not it is too rounded.

I think these are what.....17mm hex's right? You are need a hex drive socket to fit. A hand impact is best and some shim stock. A beer or pop can will do.

Cut a small section of shim stock to fit over the cap and use a dead blow or rubber mallet to drive the hex socket into the hole. Remember the threads are fine on the caps so work it do not force feed it with a sledge!

That is why the socket drive hex. Getting an allen wrench driven in straight would be a challenge.

Once the hex drive is seated firmly then use the hand impact to start working it loose. Shouldn't take much to get it started once you get a grip.

Any impact wrench would help but the hand impact helps keep the hex drive seated in the hole when it's struck.

Like I said......not the best way but it works.

Might be worth a try.

otay - the beer can shim and a 17mm hex socket and a little tap tap tap, ok so it was alot tap tap tap. Got the bugger out, Thank you for all the idears, after I got it started, and it took alot, I figured the PO used a freak'n impact wrench putting them back in, even after I loosened the pinch bolts, I had to use a 3ft pipe on a breaker bar to get loosened. Tubes seem to be good.

Thanks again for the idears Guys! Greatly appreciated.