IGNORED

Low Fuel Light

Can someone help me figure this one out on my 2002 Venture? My low fuel light no longer comes on. My fuel gage still works however it no longer switches over to F and counts up showing how far I’ve gone at my reserve level. I have checked the bulb and it is OK. So my question is this. Is it possible that my fuel-sending unit in the tank is still faulty even though it does work for the fuel gage? What other things should I check before changing the sending unit or how can the sending unit be tested to know if it needs changed?

The fuel-sending unit has two separate electrical components to it. One that works the fuel gauge and a separate one that works the low fuel light and F-trip meter.

you can test the sending unit by:

1) take off the black plastic piece that surrounds the fuel filler neck/gas cap deal (two allen screws)

2) there is a white plug that is located on under that plastic cover on the left side. Disconnect the plug

3) on the portion of that plug that has the three (I believe) wires that go to the under side of the tank (around the front) do a continuity check between the green/red wire and the black wire on the wiring in the harness that is attached to the fuel tank.

4) If you find that this is an open circuit (infinite resistance) then this is, in-fact, your problem. You need to replace the fuel sending unit (in order to have a functional fuel light and F-trip meter).

You can find them used with Pinwall cycle parts occasionally, or you could get yourself a brand-spankin'-new one.

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

There are a handful of folks in here that have needed to replace their fuel sending units, myself included (I have an 01 RSV). It is a real easy job.

Drain tank, remove tank from bike (literally 3 bolts), flip over, remove 4 screws from old sending unit, remove old sending unit, make sure new unit is clean (you don't want contaminants in your tank), insert new one (this IS tricky - pay VERY CLOSE attention to how you remove the old one, the new one has to go back in the EXACT same way - but in reverse). Insert 4 screws making sure you have your gasket lined up. Reinstall tank on bike, reconnect fuel lines, OPEN the petcock and go for a drive.

• 2 months later...