IGNORED

Brake upgrade to R1/R6 calipers?

• 3 weeks later...

How can a fellow get a kit from Earl and what is the cost for it...is it even still available? Would it be simple plug and play for 1990 VR ? What is MK? I know these are simple questions to you experts but I am certainly not an expert by any means. After sliding into a guard rail last may mine doesn't even ride truely straight anymore and I was planning on scrapping it but she just doesn't want to quit running so now 5000 miles after wreck I'm starting to try salvaging the old girl.:080402gudl_prv:

How can a fellow get a kit from Earl and what is the cost for it...is it even still available? Would it be simple plug and play for 1990 VR ? What is MK? I know these are simple questions to you experts but I am certainly not an expert by any means. After sliding into a guard rail last may mine doesn't even ride truely straight anymore and I was planning on scrapping it but she just doesn't want to quit running so now 5000 miles after wreck I'm starting to try salvaging the old girl.:080402gudl_prv:

It's in the classifieds under member vendors. Try here

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=22&page=2

MK, I think is the make. MK1 would be from 83 - 85 ventures and MK2 would be from 86 -93.

On a '90 it's a plug and play with the R1/R6 calipers. They can be picked up off Ebay for $40-$50 bucks in nice condition. That set I mounted on my '83 I think I picked up for $25 plus shipping ran it up to $40. The last set I picked up came with stainless lines. On the MKII's ('86-'93) it's a simple straight acrossed swap out. The MKI's ('83-'85) are a little more involved.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the replys. Still have one more question.... is there a specific year R1/R6 set of calipers that will fit? Ok I lied another question would be is there also a rear caliper switch out that can be done also? I just had a new front tire put on and the dealer noted my left front pads were needing replaced and he said when I questioned him that when he tried to get that caliper to compress back in to put on easier he was not really able to get the caliper to compress and that the caliper needed rebuilt but he really wasn't wanting to get into all that (Honda dealer). after riding about 70 miles yesterday I parked bike took off jacket and helmet and checked rotor temps with bare hand. Neither front rotor was holding any heat to speak of but the rear rotor was still fairly hot. Is this a fair way of checking if calipers are not releasing? I know they need done either way I'm just curious. Thanks again guys.:confused24:

Thanks guys I really appreciate the replys. Still have one more question.... is there a specific year R1/R6 set of calipers that will fit? Ok I lied another question would be is there also a rear caliper switch out that can be done also? I just had a new front tire put on and the dealer noted my left front pads were needing replaced and he said when I questioned him that when he tried to get that caliper to compress back in to put on easier he was not really able to get the caliper to compress and that the caliper needed rebuilt but he really wasn't wanting to get into all that (Honda dealer). after riding about 70 miles yesterday I parked bike took off jacket and helmet and checked rotor temps with bare hand. Neither front rotor was holding any heat to speak of but the rear rotor was still fairly hot. Is this a fair way of checking if calipers are not releasing? I know they need done either way I'm just curious. Thanks again guys.:confused24:

Most just replace the front calipers. That's were 80% of your braking is coming from. The way to tell the correct style R1/R6, is if you're on Ebay and looking at pics, the years that work are bolted from the side while the newer styles are from the top and look like a brick.... Trying to keep the correct years in you head will drive you nutz. The best way to check for dragging calipers is to go for a ride around the block and use the front only. Then check the rear caliper for heat. It should still be cool. If the pads are dragging they get fairly hot.

• 2 months later...

Hello All! Happy 4th of July to ya'll! Anyhow, I have an '84 Venture Royale, and am wishing to do the R1 Brake upgrade. I have a source for my calipers locally from a '98-'99 R1. will these fit the '84 with no fabrication? Front and Rear. And is there a post anywhere concerning the gear indicator sensor? I can't find mention of it anywhere in the manual. Thanks a million...and as soon as she gives me my allowance, I'm gonna join!! :rotf::stirthepot:

DOH!! I guess if I had read the WHOLE post I wouldn't have any questions but the gear indicator sensor...LOL Anyone have a good set of MKII forks they are willing to part with sub $100ish?!! Ebay here we come!!! And Union cyle salvage..wish me luck!!!

Edited by dreamerjoe

Some pictures of the indicator. It is behind the middle drive cover, and back in about 5".

In 1st picture lower left is the gear shift shaft that sticks through the stator cover. You don't have to remove stator cover to get at it.

It has 6 wires going into it. Grounds each wire as shift cam is rotated. Last picture shows pin on shift cam that makes a contact to ground.

Gary

Thanks Dingy. I located mine, and that's the problem...while tightening the screws to try and stop an oil leak that i suppose was coming from there...I cracked the white plastic on the upper screw hole. I'm searching for part number so i can order or get another one. Went to Union Cycle Salvage today, and payed $15 for the wrong part...LOL I was hoping to use this one as a block off plate, but the screw holes are in the wrong location/shape:confused24:...