IGNORED

Dealing with workmans comp sucks!

a1bummer

I wrecked my right knee back in Jan. of 06. Lost my job because I was no longer able to perform my duties. Left one followed soon after. Needed to get a lawyer in the beginning of 07. I'm still waiting. Had to go back to school to make a career change because I can't do the kinds of work I have always been able to do before. It really suck going back to school with ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ond another reading disability I can't pronounce. At least school will be over as of the end of this spring semester. Been putting applications and resumes in here and there, but so far, no luck. I've had to pass up to many jobs due to my work restrictions. How much trouble do you think a guy could get into if he didn't stay within his restrictions? Almost had disability go through, but they decided going to school was the same as working so I was denied.

:crying:

Has anybody else had to deal with similar things? Should dealing with the lawyers and insurance companies really take this long?

yes im going through the same as you i blew out my left knee. its going on 2 years now, workers comp sucks there motto is denie delay dont pay. but im getting close to a settlement. they stopped payments because there quack said i could return to work? LOL he read the MRI wrong. and i ended up haveing 2 operations. second one was because i got a infection in the last one. now instead of a easy operation they had to realy open it up. looks like railroad tracks on both sides of the knee. im now totaly dissabled under social security rules. due to other mediacal reasons as well. you got to hang in there. i know its hard. and trust me you will never get rich from a workers comp settlement.

Yep I am in the workers comp situation to bulged 5 lower disks in my back Sept 08 Doctors want to try injections first WC says no so. (they think its cheaper to pay my drug bill runs $1800 month) I live on Lodine,Vicodin,and Skelaxin. Gus I am lucky still at the School District doing repairs and body work to buses. I just work 10-20 min. and when my legs start going numb I sit down for 1hr or so (my release say work as tolerated). Everyone is happy but me.

But on the bright side that's how I found this place could not ride my GoldWing but a Venture does not bother my backso here I am.:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

My work place forced me to work over 12 hrs. Had to ride home after dark. Got leg totaled. I ask the day before so I could be sure there was no chance of getting stuck that day. Shift commander told me there was no way. I would have taken car if I had known instead of riding home after dark. Deer population is really bad thru there. Ended up truck got me but work place and comp say they had nothing to do with it!! And insurance companies.... I'm not going to start!!

I can sympathize with some of the above problems expressed here, BUT; and it's a BIG BUT - As a former employer I can tell you that in 20 years of dealing with employees I NEVER had a single case of actual Workmen's Comp. But I did have to deal with 7 !!!! Yes, 7 cases of attempted WC fraud......

So I have a hard time faulting the system for being careful.

I have been dealing with them for 6 years now and still no settlement. Am on social security disability for 2 years now. Have lawyers but you guys know how that goes. Need both shoulders replaced ( was told to have them done when I get to be 70 as they last for 10 years) and neck needs to be fused together at some point in time. That is why I had to quit driving school bus. Neck was getting aggravated, and couldn't turn neck to look to cross street. They even tried an epidural in my neck but that didn't help. Dr. said if i quit driving commercially, might be able to save my neck for a couple of years. So here I sit. I still ride but only for short periods of time. Hope that the lawyers will be able to come to an agreement in May so they say. So I know how some of you feel.

Ya'll ride save.

I worked for Boeing installing hyd. systems. I was already a disabled Vet. but I had 11 years of aircraft knowledge and was hired. I blew out 4 discs in my back twice and then ripped the ligements in my left knee. After 2 bad knee operations and no back operations boeing just give me a note saying go home without pay.

I sued and after 2 years I was awared 100 % disabilty from the state of Washington and NOHING from Boeing.

I am one of the lucky ones....... I won my case.

Cb

I tried for disability. But after going back and forth with them for three years, I was denied simply because they figured that going to school full time was the same as having a full time job. If my lawyer would've actually talked to me in the beginning, rather than meet face-to-face two weeks before my hearing, things probably would've been different. I wasn't using my "disabilities" to my advantage I guess. I was more interested in getting back to work as soon as I could.

For some odd reason the insurance company wont pay up. Even the DWD and DVR both say I'm entitled to it and don't understand why they refuse to pay. I know it sure would have made this going back to school thing a lot easier and a lot less stressful.

Luckily, my knees have been feeling better over time. Though definitely not back to normal by any means. Last summer I was finally able to do some hiking again. Though I was quite slower and had to take frequent rests. But at least I was able to do it.

These days I'm mostly worried about what might happen if I don't stay within my restrictions simply so I can get a job. What if my employer or the insurance company finds out? What if I get hurt more if I don't?

Thanks for the responses guys, Bill

As far as poss fraud? I had a MRI done 3 years before my injury and everthing was normal. After pushing a bus and twisting wrong, I went down doctors do not want me at work ( but I am not one to set at home) I have only missed 13 days in the 2 years since the incident other then medical have not go a dime from WC. I do not want to sit at home so I do what I can. I maintain; 22 Buses, 18 support vehicle, grounds equipment, buffers, and vacuums for a small school district. I am a 1 man shop and still stay in my budget.

So AZ1103 maybe there are some WC cases that are real ! I just want my life back, I have not tried to work the system I just want to get the help I think and the doctors feel I deserve( and Workers Comp Kept deigning it). If I had not went to the WC Doctors I could have use my Blue Cross insurance and would have been taken car of by now but cant due to worker comp claim, Catch 22:witch_brew:

There were no personal implications in what I said........

I was simply indicating my experience with WC as an ex-employer.

Self employment is never easy, having employees makes it so much more difficult.

It's bad enough in large companies where there is an entire dept. to deal with it but in the case of a small business it can be more than disruptive, it can be disastrous!

The day I decided to close the business and retire was one of the happiest days of my life!

No longer having to deal with employees was a large part of the decision.

That was 7-1/2 years ago and I haven't regretted it for a second!

:big-grin-emoticon:

As wierd as it sounds, there are usually two sides to every story. Whether it be insurance, workmans comp, or whatever come up. It is a shame that the few dominate the discussion and come down on whoever does not side with them on every instance.

As wierd as it sounds, there are usually two sides to every story. Whether it be insurance, workmans comp, or whatever come up. It is a shame that the few dominate the discussion and come down on whoever does not side with them on every instance.

???????????????????????????????? Posting is Free.

AZ1103 I did not take it personally, I was just trying to let you know that there are some of us with WC claims that are legitimate.

I will agree we are few and far between.

I know of 2 that are milking the system at work and have been off with pay for a long time. 1 cut his hand it works fine when he goes fishing but for some reason he cant use it when he see the doctor go figure.The other has come back to work she hurt her shoulder and can't lift more the 5# so I pre trip,fuel and wash her bus for here but she has no problem carrying here 3year old and going bowling.

I am the opposite, the doctors do not want me at work (my MRI look pretty bad they do not know how I can still function as well as I do).

I begged to get the release I got (as Tolerated), I love what I do I just wish the WC insurance would try what 3 doctors and 1 surgeon has suggested( the injection run $800 x3 injections $2100 total but WC feel keeping me on med's the rest of my life at $1800 a month is cheaper (I know that don't make sense to me either:confused24:). I am doing my part I have lost 48# not easy to do when you are in consent pain. I weight less now then when I was in High School 30 year ago.

:soapbox:

The worst thing is walking and standing more then 20 min or so my legs go numb and I have fallen down from this. So I sit down and lean a lot to shift my spine to help with this problem.And if I was not on the Med's. I could drink beer :group cheers:and Fall down o'well :doh:I save a lot on beer( more money for safety chrome) this way now where is my Vicodin

AZ1103 I did not take it personally, I was just trying to let you know that there are some of us with WC claims that are legitimate.

I will agree we are few and far between.

I know of 2 that are milking the system at work and have been off with pay for a long time. 1 cut his hand it works fine when he goes fishing but for some reason he cant use it when he see the doctor go figure.The other has come back to work she hurt her shoulder and can't lift more the 5# so I pre trip,fuel and wash her bus for here but she has no problem carrying here 3year old and going bowling.

I am the opposite, the doctors do not want me at work (my MRI look pretty bad they do not know how I can still function as well as I do).

I begged to get the release I got (as Tolerated), I love what I do I just wish the WC insurance would try what 3 doctors and 1 surgeon has suggested( the injection run $800 x3 injections $2100 total but WC feel keeping me on med's the rest of my life at $1800 a month is cheaper (I know that don't make sense to me either:confused24:). I am doing my part I have lost 48# not easy to do when you are in consent pain. I weight less now then when I was in High School 30 year ago.

:soapbox:

The worst thing is walking and standing more then 20 min or so my legs go numb and I have fallen down from this. So I sit down and lean a lot to shift my spine to help with this problem.And if I was not on the Med's. I could drink beer :group cheers:and Fall down o'well :doh:I save a lot on beer( more money for safety chrome) this way now where is my Vicodin

Lot more legit claims than you think. Seems they are the ones that get turned down.

I can sympathize with some of the above problems expressed here, BUT; and it's a BIG BUT - As a former employer I can tell you that in 20 years of dealing with employees I NEVER had a single case of actual Workmen's Comp. But I did have to deal with 7 !!!! Yes, 7 cases of attempted WC fraud......

So I have a hard time faulting the system for being careful.

MY BAD!!! I guess they are all fraud!! I must have dreamed my leg was in the shape it is..

I am the guy you will love to hate, Workman's comp was designed to assist employees that were injured on the job, Did not matter whether they were using the wrong tool, did not matter whether the stepped in the same oil they spilled or walked by a dozens times, did not matter whether they Violated every safety rule in the book, did not matter whether they wore the proper protective equipment. What did matter is that the injury got reported at the time of the incident. If you report it while you are at work and you are sent for medical care it is awful hard for someone to deny it was related to work. If you do not report your injury while you are at work when it happens then the burden of proof is on you. meaning that the minute you get off the property there is now a window that the injury did not happen at work. Now a little secret 6 somewhere around 6 months after you have been released to go back to work full time unrestricted some 3rd party worker comp company should call you, if not then call your employer and ask for a final payout. they will give you a number turn it down, they will call a few days maybe a week later turn it down, they will call you eventually with a final number. Now is when you go to an attorney in illinois the attorney will only get a percentage of what they negotiate for you. Make sure you have the final offer letter. Out of 127 incident investigations never found a pice of equipment that jumped of it's anchor bolts and attacked an employee.

Unfortunately the greedy, the selfish, and the stupid have ruined workers comp for the honest, loyal and hardworking that 99% of the time do it by the book and that one time they make a mistake. So that buddy you saw pull his back out on bowling night that limped into work and called foul about 1/2 after the shift started blame him for your suffering.

I am the guy you will love to hate, Workman's comp was designed to assist employees that were injured on the job, Did not matter whether they were using the wrong tool, did not matter whether the stepped in the same oil they spilled or walked by a dozens times, did not matter whether they Violated every safety rule in the book, did not matter whether they wore the proper protective equipment. What did matter is that the injury got reported at the time of the incident. If you report it while you are at work and you are sent for medical care it is awful hard for someone to deny it was related to work. If you do not report your injury while you are at work when it happens then the burden of proof is on you. meaning that the minute you get off the property there is now a window that the injury did not happen at work. Now a little secret 6 somewhere around 6 months after you have been released to go back to work full time unrestricted some 3rd party worker comp company should call you, if not then call your employer and ask for a final payout. they will give you a number turn it down, they will call a few days maybe a week later turn it down, they will call you eventually with a final number. Now is when you go to an attorney in illinois the attorney will only get a percentage of what they negotiate for you. Make sure you have the final offer letter. Out of 127 incident investigations never found a pice of equipment that jumped of it's anchor bolts and attacked an employee.

Unfortunately the greedy, the selfish, and the stupid have ruined workers comp for the honest, loyal and hardworking that 99% of the time do it by the book and that one time they make a mistake. So that buddy you saw pull his back out on bowling night that limped into work and called foul about 1/2 after the shift started blame him for your suffering.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: And who gets shafted in the end??

Usually the guy with legit claim!!!

I'll say I'm sorry now for any remarks I made in this I shouldn't have. It doesn't take much on Insurance or Comp (same thing) to set me off!! I should know better.

I have got to play the devil's advocate a little further, 1 guy says I was pushing a bus, another guy says he rode his bike to work and hit a deer coming home so work is responsible, so if you go to a venture rider function and hit a deer is the Venture rider organization responsible( get that guy a ride waiver and some deer whistles), another guys says he was disabled when he took the job, did you stop your vet disability while you were working or did you continue to double dip while working full time, as our brothers and sister who could not work lived on the streets and in Shelters? Another Guy is wondering why his benefits are being denied but admits he has not seen the WC Doctor. You do have the right to see your own physician, but you must see the company/wc physician in order to be W/C eligible. To top this all off all are complaining of back, neck, and knee injuries while posting on a motorcycle website. And you guys wonder why you are having a difficult time.

Who gets shafted well lets see your family because they no longer have the dad or husband they used to have because of YOUR mistake, Your coworkers that are now forced to work overtime to cover for you because of YOUR mistake, Your employer who has to pay ungodly workman's comp benefits because of YOUR mistake which results in deeper cuts and layoffs during bad economic times. And you because of YOUR mistake.

I have got to play the devil's advocate a little further, 1 guy says I was pushing a bus, another guy says he rode his bike to work and hit a deer coming home so work is responsible, so if you go to a venture rider function and hit a deer is the Venture rider organization responsible( get that guy a ride waiver and some deer whistles), another guys says he was disabled when he took the job, did you stop your vet disability while you were working or did you continue to double dip while working full time, as our brothers and sister who could not work lived on the streets and in Shelters? Another Guy is wondering why his benefits are being denied but admits he has not seen the WC Doctor. You do have the right to see your own physician, but you must see the company/wc physician in order to be W/C eligible. To top this all off all are complaining of back, neck, and knee injuries while posting on a motorcycle website. And you guys wonder why you are having a difficult time.

Who gets shafted well lets see your family because they no longer have the dad or husband they used to have because of YOUR mistake, Your coworkers that are now forced to work overtime to cover for you because of YOUR mistake, Your employer who has to pay ungodly workman's comp benefits because of YOUR mistake which results in deeper cuts and layoffs during bad economic times. And you because of YOUR mistake.

The mistake I made was going to work. Having overtime forced on me that I did not want. Being forced to ride home after dark. Being on road when Crackhead decided to enter it. Riding bike that day because workplace assured me I would not have to work overtime. Accident would not have happened in daylight. Crackhead entered road with no lights on.

Well solodadof2d no offence taken but

I was the one that pushed the bus by my self as instructed by my employer( he was here a short time)

I have given up a lot sold boat could not stand to rid in it,

Sold my gold wing could not stand to ride it eather. Tried several other bikes and the angle I sit on the venture gave some relief, I have not worked on my street rod in 2 years To much pain and worn out after work.

As for being a burden on my fellow employees and employer? I am the only one in my department and I still get the job done. I am at work ever day on lots of drugs but here doing my job.

If the doctors would give me a full release as I ask for 18 months ago I could go with my private insurance but they say no way to much liability on there part. if the WC insurance would have done as the doctors wanted 18 month ago I might have been fine now the latest MRI show other problems due to not have the proper care in the first place.

I still do my job and the workers comp insurance is showed as a benefit on my pay stub so why should I not get the proper care that I deserve as I was injured doing as instructed by my employer

And lastly if I get a little enjoyment from riding a motorcycle a few hr a day am I not entitled to it? I cant walk for long distance any more ,fishing is out long trips are not enjoyable any more Use to go to National parks and monuments now it is just depressing that my 71 year old mother has to Waite on me to taking a brake because I can feel my legs.:soapbox:

To top this all off all are complaining of back, neck, and knee injuries while posting on a motorcycle website. And you guys wonder why you are having a difficult time.

WOW! It's awful ignorant to come up with BS like that! Think about it!

Lets see... It's MY fault I was injured while doing my job?

If I ride a motorcycle... I must NOT have any disabilities?

It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

What is ignorant my friend is to come on here expecting the world to feel sorry for you and expecting that others should pay for your mistakes. The fact is you would not have gotten injured had you followed good common sense, said no that is not safe, used the proper lifting methods, got help, wore the proper protective equipment, asked for help, or used the right tool. If you had communicated better and evaluated the risk before you took action.

Now if your restrictions or limitations say that you should not bend, twist, climb ,turn, or lift, carry or hold a certain wieght then you should not be riding a motorcycle. That is just enough for your company to fight your claim and get it thrown out. By the way many companies hire private investigators to take pictures of you while you are doing things you should not be based on you restrictions and claims. So do not be suprised when you walk into court for you final hearing and see pictures of yourself doing activities that you should not have been doing.

Now for those of you talking about taking all of the pain medication what in the love of god are you doing, riding a motorcycle or driving for that matter. that just further proves you inability to make good decisions based on risk to you and others.

Quite often if you have a legitimate injury, but do not follow the restrictions placed upon you per batum then you will risk losing your case and employment.

For those of you that have a legitimate case be patiant, follow your restricitions, be constantly aware of what you are doing as to now cause question or doubt about your condition. Sometimes Because of the cheaters a system that used to be designed for us is now skeptical.

For those of you abusing the system shut the &*()) up and get back to work! Stop Screwing the rest of us!

By the way I was in the trades for 17 years before I became a safety professional, before that I was an honorably Discharged from the US States Army. So you are not talkign to someone that has not been there done that!