IGNORED

How would you stop rust from carbs?

After basic cleaning of tank. What would you do to prevent rust getting in carbs?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. After basic cleaning of tank. What would you do to prevent rust getting in carbs?

• place a magnet in fuel tank near the petcock,remove yearly
    • place a magnet outside and forget about it
    • attach magnet to fuel filter
    • DONT'T use a maget in or on tank, may create rust spot

I'm trying to post this poll based on my recent carb rebuild. Finding rust dust in the carbs. I then emptied the fuel tank. There was a thin scale of rust in much of the tank. I cleaned it good w/rags on end of "rod". I have had my '87 VR since '89. Over the years 90% of the time when the bike is parked over night...the tank is full. Rust is a result of the new ethanol fuels that have found their way to my area about 8 years ago. So it's going to be a issue for all vehicles. Especialy 2 wheeled. OK, all of the choices are based on just cleaning w/rags. NOT etching and sealing the tank. FYI, fuel filters will not catch this stuff. Which one of these makes the most sense to do or not to do after general cleaning ? Should you feel the need...You can choose more than one item in the poll.Thanks in advance...

Edited by jasonm.

I have OEM yamaha filter on my bike. It does not catch this "rust dust". My best description is...It's baby powder fine. The filter does good at large bits. I took the filter off after being on for 30k. Then blew it out. Lots of rust came out. But the bits were of the sort you could feel and see easily. I tested the dusty stuff off my rags. This stuff does stick to a magnet . But does not jump to a magnet. I do not want this going into the carbs. It tends to cake up.

If you are set on using a magnet, you could try finding a round magnet that has a hole in the middle wide enough (or bore it out to the proper width) to slide over the fuel supply line that leads from the pump to the carbs. Place one or two on either end of the fuel line so you can see if it's working. It might be worth a shot that way. Another option would be to use Sea Foam once in a while.

I have OEM yamaha filter on my bike. It does not catch this "rust dust". My best description is...It's baby powder fine. The filter does good at large bits. I took the filter off after being on for 30k. Then blew it out. Lots of rust came out. But the bits were of the sort you could feel and see easily. I tested the dusty stuff off my rags. This stuff does stick to a magnet . But does not jump to a magnet. I do not want this going into the carbs. It tends to cake up.

I think what you are seeing is pretty common with the RSV's. I see it in mine and it does seem to settle in the bowls of the Carbs but I haven't noticed any problems it has caused. Just use some Sea Foam from time to time and you should be fine. I don't think it's worth worrying about.

BOO

so, are you saying SeaFoam desolves rust...? I have never bought any nor read the can.

I have lots of magnets available. And with holes. But just on the hose itself? Assuming the magnets work , could cause a blockage.

Edited by jasonm.

I've done more than a few motorcycle restorations. I've seen the bottom of float bowls that had the rust buildup...no serious problems. I've done a bike or two where I added 1/4 to 1/2 a can of sea foam to the gas. I was very surprised to see that those carbs were nearly spotless.

I can attest to the fact that sea foam does a great job at cleaning out the carbs.

1st the whole reason for my query...I am not removing and sealing the tank. Thus the reason for the poll. 2nd...Still asking, "does SeaFoam desolve rust?" If yes, then it is likely an acid compound. I see on their web site they say "moisture removal". Tank was only drained for a couple hours while cleaning. And now it is full again. So I am leaning towards putting a good size magnet in the fuel tank...next time I drain it. Next week.

Edited by jasonm.