IGNORED

I need a seasoned Marrine to answer a question for me...

fixit3546

Also, have him check with federal jobs. (USjobs.com???) He should get vet's preference on any federal job and they have every type of career imaginable. He will need to find the "job series" (number) he's interested in and then just scroll though to find a location he likes and apply.

I retired from the government with 30 years...you'll never get rich, but the pay check was always there and the retirement plan was great. The current FERS retirement is still way ahead of most others out there, and his military time WILL count toward retirement.

Good luck!

My son is being separated and I'm looking for options.....that's the short of it.

I used to be a recruiter (a good one, not one to lie), and the important thing is (not to get too detailed in your business), why is he separating? Probably the most important thing is his "DD214" or separation paper. There will be a separation code (also known as the Re-Enlistment code) at that will tell you a lot about his discharge. I'm only saying this because depending on the RE code, he might not be able to get any decent job.

I'm sure your son is a great young man... And I am not saying anything about him. I'm just trying to educate those who have never been in the service and are reading this.

Ok, back to the lesson. With a re-enlistment code of a RE-4, that's what we call a BCD. BCD isn't a Big Chicken dinner, but a Bad Conduct Discharge. That means the person has done something dishonorable, and the military branch found him/her unfit for military duties. So, they let him/her out with a kick in the booty.

Sometimes, good people do bad things. The military recognizes that, and they give them either a "other than Honorable", or a "General discharge". Those are usually RE-3. In those cases, not only does the RE count, but a three digit alpha-numeric digit that gives you an idea of what happened (disrespect to a superior officer, failed physical fitness tests..." That code is called the separation code.

The reason I put all of that down, is because if he has a dishonorable discharge or a bad conduct discharge, the chances of doing most decent jobs are slim to none. That includes any police, gov't, city or state jobs. That doesn't slam the door shut in his face. It just limits the opportunities. If he got an other than honorable or a general discharge, there is more chances for him to get a decent job. Some of the reasons may include the fact that he couldn't pass a physical challenge due to a pre-existing medical condition. I also know a guy who didn't want to go back to Iraq on deployment (Army) and he told the Commanding Officer he is a homosexual. Because of the "don't ask-don't tell" policy, they told him to prove it. He went up to his Commanding officer, gave him a HUGE WET KISS on the lips. Next week, he was on a grayhound bus to Saint Augustine, Florida. That was a "General Discharge".

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm very familiar with many programs for Vets. Also, tell him to check out the VA (Veterans assistance) web site.

Best of luck to him..

Spent 10 years in the army.. was in a similar situation... What to do..

Government work.. If he has any type of clearance, he needs to ensure to leverage that in his resume. Government work is also contract work for the government. Contracting companies get 'extra points' for employing separated and retired military.. they will also save $$ if they can get someone with an established clearance. Worked for me anyway.

Hi,

First of all, there's only one "r" in Marine. Now drop and give me 20! :pushups:

USAJOBS.GOV is a great site if you're looking for federal employment, which can compliment military service nicely. You can even end up working alongside active duty Marines.

Echoing the other comment, the type of discharge is critical.

Also, in the Corps they give you on an annual basis a form we called the "propaganda form". It's a document listing your annual salary combined with the dollar value of all benefits. This is the number he should/could use as his base salary, when looking for a comparable salary.

On his resume, hire a professional unless you have skills in that area. Need to ensure all the military acronyms are removed or spelled out, for the average "slimy civilian" to understand.

He needs to be aware that while many employers value the discipline learned and practiced in the Corps, they also worry about the perceived rigidness and inflexibility of a Marine. Stress the ability to be flexible, learn new things, a positive attitude with aptitude is the key.