IGNORED

Servicing rearend/driveshaft... ??

Hi all...

Let me start off by saying how impressed I am with all the help & feedback from members of this forum... It's a nice breath of 'fresh air', from some of those other sites...

I'm wanting to service the rearend, not sure how to do it, and what's the best oil to use.

It's a 96 w/4500 miles... Pretty sure it's never been done (assuming).

Will I need a floor jack (bike lift)?

Thanks!

take the left saddle bag off, easyer to get to upper nut, #14 I think. drop your oil, make sure you clean the magnet, of metal slivers, should feel like a sand grit on your fingers, anything more then that.there are posts here, on how too's.

I use lucas, high performance, SAE 80W90 Gear oil, I like to change my oil every other motor oil change ( 9 Thousand Miles)

Edit, A 96 with 4500 miles? thats crazy... You plan to hang on this board, by the end of the year your should have another 16,000 on it.

Welcome to the Family!! Your right about this place, you will never meet a better bunch of folks!! Yes you will need to get your bike off the ground to do a full service, greese the splines, ect. I beleave there is a thread in the tech area with a step by step, but it is no big deal, if you pull the drive shaft, that can be a bugger to get back in..

If you don`t find the post, then we can walk you through it. pull your rear wheel, clean all the greese off of the gear part of your wheel and there you will find a split ring, take it off, then remove the hub from the wheel, you may need a large screw driver to help with this, then get some steel whool to remove any rust off of the splines and the holes that the splines fit in to. use a good Molly greese like Honda Molly 60, you do not need to use alot, greese the splines and re-install all. if you are removing the drive shaft, remove the 4 acorn nuts, and pull the rear hub back untill it comes out. clean the shaft and lube. like I said getting it back in is a fun job, but doable.. I hope this helps, others are better at typing instructions then I am and am sure they will post also..

again welcome to the Family!!

K

As has been already said, Its an easy 15 minute job to drain and refill the rear end of these bikes. left saddle bag off makes it easier, but its not mandatory. Keep a slight left lean on the bike to keep the old oil off the tire. no lift/jack required.

There is an excellant artice in the 2nd gen tech FAQs on lubing the the drive shaft and rear wheel pins, which you likely want to do as soon as possibleto get some fresh grease on your machine. Thats more work and will require a lift and removing the rear wheel.