IGNORED

01 rstd Speedometer problems

My speedometer stops working after the bike is not run for a week or so. After I run the bike for awhile it begins to work. Also the turn signal cancel won't work or the odometer. The problem has worsen, now I can ride all day and it might jump up once or twice. Any ideas?

Thanks

I might be off base but I would split the fairing and check all the elec. plug in connections first. Could be corrosion has gotten into the connector.

Not sure if a bad ignition switch would cause your problem or not.

steve, he has the standard royal star

pastorized, you can take out the 3 allen head screw holding the chrome trim around the speedo and look at the wiring plug at the front of the tank. see if it corruded, it comes out on the left side and runs by the frame to the back. if that looks ok, then you may have a bad key switch, is your's on the front of the frame or behind the seat on the right side? some have taken the switch apart and cleaned the contacts and it may start working again. you may try wiggling the key and see if that effects it. let me know what you find, don. you may want to checkout this wbsite; it has a lot of guys with the same bike you have. http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/ i have a wrecked 96 with the switch behind the seat, if you cann't find one, but i would like to keep it because i have a 97 and a 01 with the same switch.