IGNORED

Warranty transfer??? HAH- What a hassle!

Mel

I know there were some earlier posts on this subject, but here is my story.

I bought a 2007 RSV from Dreyer Honda in Indianapolis. I'm the 2nd owner, it was sold new in Illinois. For those of you who don't know, Dreyer has a Yamaha dealership right next door to the Honda store. I asked the service guys at Dreyer Yamaha to transfer the warranty and they said it was something they would take care of if/when it came in for service, otherwise it was not necessary.

The handbook says it should be transferred. I'm thinking "what if I'm in Ohio or Kentucky or some foreign land (Canada?) and need warranty work?". I want to be recognized as the owner and warranty holder.

So-o-o I went to Westfield Yamaha, they told me it HAS to be transferred by the original selling dealership. IN ILLINOIS! No ifs, ands, or buts. Just flat refused to have anything to do with it. I emailed the dealer in Illinois, they responded that they would be glad to help, but would have to physically inspect the bike.

Well-l-l let me tell ya- I called Yamaha Motors in Katella, CA. The customer service rep. (Leona) there was GREAT! She called Indy Cycle & Ski while keeping me on the line. Before Leona and I finished talking I had a call come in from Indy Cycle & Ski from their business manager James White. I took a ride to their dealership and when I got there I was greeted by James. He provided me with a temporary warranty, told me I would be getting a warranty card from Yamaha, and then took me around and introduced me to the service mgr. and the parts mgr. and showed me around the dealership.Then I spent some time on the showroom floor just browsing. Bear in mind that this was my first ever visit to this dealer.

When I need service, tires, parts, whatever, guess where I am going first?

All this just to confirm what most of us already know. There are dealers out there that just don't give a damn, but if you are lucky you may find one that gives you old fashioned "we value you as a customer" service.

Mel:Venture:

That's a very positive outcome. My own story is that neither my close-by dealer nor the original seller dealership knew about officially transferring the warranty. They did do some research and figured out how to update the database, but I didn't get a warranty card. The "inspection" consisted of "is it running well for you?" They didn't know about that either.

Dave

Before I bought my RSV, I found the Yamaha warranty information that stated the warranty was transferable. After buying it, I had a similar experience as you.

The dealership closest to me (who I've bought parts from previously) said I'd need to get it inspected, at their normal rate. I think it was $87. The next closest dealership (who I've done a LOT of business with) said I didn't need to transfer it. And another dealership, who I've never done any business with, said to simply bring in the registration, no need to bring the bike since the registration is proof of ownership. They finished the transfer in about 10 minutes, gave me a printout of the warranty in my name, and asked if there was anything else they could do to help me. That was Cycle Nation of Canton. Those people are wonderful.

Bought my 06TD from a Honda Shop down south of town. I called my closest Yamaha delaer and they said I had ten days to make the transfer. Took the bike to them for the "inspection" and paid their rate (I think it was around $85.00) We went into the office and the gentleman(?) took the registration, and proceeded to register the warranty.

He cursed a few times during the 30 min process and then said everything is done and that I would get a warranty card in the mail in 7-10 days. I said thank you and left.

November-March, no warranty card.

I did go to another dealer in the next town and asked if he would/could verify my warranty and he went into the system and said it all looked good. His statement was that he did not think I would get a card. "BTW, I would like to earn your business. Did the other dealer actually check your bike? If not, let us take a look at it for you just to make sure you are ok" I thought this was rather interesting comment.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story once learned.