IGNORED

Six Flags Chicago-Camping?

sarges46

On our way home from the International this year we plan on stopping at six flags at Gurnee Ill just north of Chicago. We want to camp with our camper and were wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

The original plan was to stop at the Wisconsin Dells but you know how plans change.

Rick,

That's pretty congested over there. Just 33 miles to my house straight west. There are a lot of good camping places over this way. Some good spots between and there but not sure about the immediate area. I can do some research if you like.

I may go to the meet one day or so but that will be about it.

BOO

Zion state park has some nice sites, and it is right on Lake Michigan.

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/LANDMGT/PARKS/R2/ILBEACH.HTM#Camping

That is probably the closest thing available.

Some of the 'chain of lakes' parks have decent sites too (though they are west of Gurnee by 5-20 miles depending on which one you would want to head to)... The lakes get real crowded in the summer, but it is mostly boating traffic - I don't know about the campground(s).

Edited by LilBeaver

do the dells!! hellava lot better bang for the buck.

do a search for members near the location?? I'm 2 hours away

mike

I would agree because I'm not into all the wild rides but if you want to ride I think Great

America would be the place.

You gonna set up a ride in the spring time? Or a breakfast on a Saturday?

BOO

Zion state park has some nice sites, and it is right on Lake Michigan.

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/LANDMGT/PARKS/R2/ILBEACH.HTM#Camping

That is probably the closest thing available.

Good pick. Never used it for camping and I see on the site they also refer you to Chain of Lakes State park. Also pretty nice place on the Fox River and a little more rural.

BOO

I would agree because I'm not into all the wild rides but if you want to ride I think Great

America would be the place.

You gonna set up a ride in the spring time? Or a breakfast on a Saturday?

BOO

DITTO

6 flags over Chicago was VERY disappointing 10 years ago, I'm Guessing it is no better go to the DELLs 3 cents

Good pick. Never used it for camping and I see on the site they also refer you to Chain of Lakes State park. Also pretty nice place on the Fox River and a little more rural.

BOO

I went to High school in Antioch and I'm pretty 'out-doorsy' so I've spent quite a bit of time there as well as various other places (most of the nearby ones were in southern Wisconsin).

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive from Gurnee to your campsite, Kettle-moraine (State Park in Wisconsin) would be my choice.

Big Foot Beach would be a little bit closer, but not quite as nice.

I live 15 mins due west of Great America.

It's a fun place, Hurricane Harbor with lazy river and patio bar overlooking said river is good fun.

For camping, there's quite a few options. I'm typing on an iPhone so, you'll have to Google exact details.

Here's one link:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r2/ilbeach.htm

There is IL Beach park north and south, both along the lake, both 30 mins or less away.

Southern unit has better/more camping, northern has better surfing.....really, surfing.

All depends what u r lookin for: pit stop near stuff, or cool place for a few days AND near stuff.

U have kid? I assume so. Hope so?

GM is huge now, more than enough rides to make u puke, or retire at the bar.

Thanks guys.

I will be the one at the bar! Marilyn and the kids will be riding...they love riding those crazy rides more than waterpark stuff. To me it wouldnt matter as I dont care for waterpark rides either!

I do enjoy watching them have a good time and people watching while they are doing that.

I will check out the ideas. I really do like the state park thing. We have used state parks several times and have yet to find a bad one.

Boo, if we are that close we could take a ride over to say howdy.

W Dells we went there a couple times when I was young (about 5 and 10), then I drove through about 15 years ago on Business, and I can not remember a thing except for the photos.

Looked like it could be fun for the kids. Bu I like the roller coasters, bigger and faster the better.

BRad

I've stayed here twice over the years. First was with the the second X and her kids. We went to Six flags, and stayed here that night. Nice little family campground just over the border in WI and a little west.

http://www.happyacres.com/

Stayed there a couple years later on the bike with another couple on bikes, and they were just as friendly.

Just another thought, Scooter Bob