Sailor

There is an article in todays paper stating the the provincial government is going to crack down on motorcycle riders due to there having been several deaths recently. Most of the deaths they refer to were caused by automobile drivers turning left into the motorcyclist or pulling out in front of the motorcyclist. I intend to send a letter to the paper and to the motor vehicles branch explaining that it is the automobile drivers who need to be cracked down on. Some time ago I saw a thread here which showed research into motorcycle accidents and the increase in the death rate was largely due to the increase in SUV's and high pickups on the road. I would like to use that thread but I cannot find it. Does anyone remember it and can you tell me where to find it.

Thanks

Thanks Rick. I've already got that one. The one I am thinking of was a long time ago, a year or two I think. It was research on why motorcycle deaths were increasing at a rate faster than the growth of new motorcyclists.

Yep, headlight and running lights always on. I also ride with three police motorcycle strobe lights; perfectly legal in the US as long as they do not get into the eyes of other drivers, hence they are low on the faring and pointed UP (significantly) under my headlight. I also have electronic air horns.

STILL: yesterday in N Denver I was 'invaded' twice, but the highly flexible 86 VR swerved me out of the danger zone. Need a paint gun, too, to mark the stupid boxers so other motorcyclists can be allerted! LOL.

JackZ

:smile5: At least I still have MOST of my teeth left! Jz

I do like the paint gun idea. Could we have ball bearings as well as paint balls?

How about paint balls that contain both paint and ball bearings :thumbsup2:

Here's a thought ... mount a replica 50 cal machine gun on the scoot and a flag or something that says.... "so you think you wanna mess with me sukkah?"

:sign20:

It just keeps getting better and better.

This all fits in with what I was told, and my son was told, that the police in B.C. have been instructed to target motorcycles.

I remember when they were trying to get tougher drinking and driving laws in. A police officer advised me that if there was any type of traffic accident they were to find any excuse to put down that alcohol was involved. I saw them put down an unopened 6 pack in the trunk of a car as "alcohol related".

How big is a bicycle? I think it is an education issue. Car drivers just are not trained to look for motorcycles.
Car drivers are not trained at all. The written test is so easy it is a joke and some have to take it 3 - 4 times to pass. The driving test is inadequate relating to night time driving and skid control although neither likely impact motorcycle awareness. The real problem is lack of attention to "driving" while aiming the car down the road. It's doubtful any training could ensure drivers will actually drive the vehicle without engaging in any of the activities that take their attention from the road. Not that it will help the victim but higher fines and insurance rates for inattentive driving might get the point across though.

Graduated licensing, reduced horsepower for the first couple of years would likely be a good thing. There were a couple of MC crashes in this area about 5 years ago both of which resulted from driving too fast through a corner for the riders skill level. It has always boggled my mind that the ignorant boneheads who make the rules think displacement is a defining factor. My 1100 V-twin develops about 60 HP while quite a number of 4 cyl 750's get about 80 HP.

Hey Rick, my letter was published in the Times Colonist today:banana:

and here it is for the rest of us to read....

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/Make+drivers+aware+traffic+roads/2715331/story.html

(hope ya don't mind me posting the link ...)

btw... great letter! we need a lot more of "us" writing to the newpapers and to the appropriate Minister. I really don't think those people "get it".

oh, and here's mine...

http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/letters/Vehicular+aggression/2708295/story.html

Edited by SilvrT