IGNORED

CB antenna is better than expected

MikeWa

I put the SWR and watt meters on the CB antenna cable today. I did not expect good readings on the stock antenna. Especially with the short little cable and RCA jacks it has. A good SWR is below 2-1 a really good reading is below 1.5-1. With the short cable on the stock antenna I was anticipating some very poor readings. Perhaps in the 2.5 or 3-1 range. So I was psyching myself up to have to purchase an aftermarket antenna and cable. On both channels 1 and 40 the SWR tested at below 1.2-1. Wow. No antenna adjustment needed. No new antenna needed. No new cable needed. So then I checked the power output. These units are rated at four watts. I tested mine at 3.85. Close enough. Very surprising. I am much happier with the stock units today than I was yesterday. Funny how that is.

Mike

Yup, what Squidly said!

I had often wondered about the actual output of our units, but do not have the equipment to test it. I asked once or twice and the best I got from people were guesses (which was fine). But this is good stuff.

Thanks a lot!! :thumbsup2:

I put the SWR and watt meters on the CB antenna cable today. I did not expect good readings on the stock antenna. Especially with the short little cable and RCA jacks it has. A good SWR is below 2-1 a really good reading is below 1.5-1. With the short cable on the stock antenna I was anticipating some very poor readings. Perhaps in the 2.5 or 3-1 range. So I was psyching myself up to have to purchase an aftermarket antenna and cable. On both channels 1 and 40 the SWR tested at below 1.2-1. Wow. No antenna adjustment needed. No new antenna needed. No new cable needed. So then I checked the power output. These units are rated at four watts. I tested mine at 3.85. Close enough. Very surprising. I am much happier with the stock units today than I was yesterday. Funny how that is.

Mike

Mine tested out at almost the same numbers. My unit hit 3.8 on the output.:banana:

when I bought my bike they had the antennas reversed. cb didnt work of course I didnt know why till i had seen another bike and asked. took bike to dealer swaped antennas now I can hear fairly good but get out very well. is this normal or do i need a new transmitter?

I am not sure what you mean by "don't get out very well". In order for you to transmit your antenna must be matched or tuned to your radio transmitter. Call this SWR. It is easily measured with an SWR meter installed between the antenna and the CB radio. If it is out of tune the SWR will be high over 2.5 to 1 If it is matched it will be lower. 1 to 1 is perfect but not achievable on a motorcycle. Matching is done by adjusting the antenna. The next thing to check is your power output from your transmitter. Remember the antenna must be good before the transmitter will work properly. Many swr meters also have a power meter to test power. Key the mic and read the power on the meter. Expect something under 4 watts. Higher is better but anything over three is good. A couple of points. Operating the transmitter with a bad or wrong antenna can burn out the transmitter. Due to the smaller surface area (ground plain) of a motorcycle they will not put out as well as a base station or semi truck. These CBs are meant for communication between fairly close riding bikes. Some truck and cb base stations operating to close to you can blast your ear drums and your receiver right off of your bike. Not what you want to do to your fellow riders. Communication with other riders should be good up to about half a mile, line of sight. After that 'good luck'.

Mike

There may not be nothing wrong with mine then. The only time i talked on the cb the person on the other end said he could bearly hear me and sounded like i was far away.thats why i thought the transmitter mite be damaged. The dealer said they set the swr. I will check it out with another rider with a cb. Thanks for info.

Also make sure your mic is in front of your mouth. Some riders like to push them up into the corner of the helmet and that can sometimes cause problems. Especially with a noise canceling microphone. Good luck and ride safe.

Mike

There may not be nothing wrong with mine then. The only time i talked on the cb the person on the other end said he could bearly hear me and sounded like i was far away.thats why i thought the transmitter mite be damaged. The dealer said they set the swr. I will check it out with another rider with a cb. Thanks for info.

I ran into this exact problem on another Venture last night. I am still checking it out but it is definitely not sending out a signal other CBs can pick up. I have not determined if it is a bad connection somewhere or if the xmitter is weak. Power out seems reasonable but it may be drifting off frequency or loosing modulation. I will post when I get it figured out.

Mike

It looks like this one might be the antenna and or cable. The SWR and power meters were jumping all over the place when the cable was touched just below the antenna. The service department at RMC has been most helpfull and parts are on order.

Mike

I ran into this exact problem on another Venture last night. I am still checking it out but it is definitely not sending out a signal other CBs can pick up. I have not determined if it is a bad connection somewhere or if the xmitter is weak. Power out seems reasonable but it may be drifting off frequency or loosing modulation. I will post when I get it figured out.

Mike