IGNORED

2006 RSTD: Increasing the rear lighting

Greetings All,

I am looking for suggestions on increasing the tail lighting on my 2006 RSTD. Where I live there is limited light on the roads and I would like increase my safety percentage.

I once located a lightbar that converted the turn signals to stay on all the time as red while flashing as the normal orange. If I recall, when the brakes were applied the main tail light did a "LED dance" (that's a technical term).

Any ideas where I can locate such a contraption?

Thanks in advance!

Nick P

I installed the Electrical Connection Turn Signal Conversion Kit to give me LED running lights. (my how-to here). These are red LED do-nuts that glue to the inside of your turn signal lenses, and turn off when the turn signal flashes. This creates the 3-light rear end that I wanted for safety. A single running light just doesn't do it for me.

I am also planning to add the Custom Dynamics 100 LED brake lights. These are very bright.

I might eventually add LED glow lights. I'd like to add a yellow strobe, but can't find one.

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
don't you hate finding typos the second you press send?

Guest human4m

I plan on adding red LED strips under my saddlebags, and tying them into the brake lights, They're insanely bright, even pointing down.

Dave,

Thanks for the rapid response! I knew I saw this somewhere and turns out it was right here under my nose :crackup:

How is your light project holding up? Have you had any other issues?

I am not sure if I am confident in doing this myself. I was never a big fan of electrical wiring. But your detailed instructions give me hope that it can be done.

Thanks again!

Nick P

Dave,

Thanks for the rapid response! I knew I saw this somewhere and turns out it was right here under my nose :crackup:

How is your light project holding up? Have you had any other issues?

I am not sure if I am confident in doing this myself. I was never a big fan of electrical wiring. But your detailed instructions give me hope that it can be done.

Thanks again!

Nick P

I had an early pinching problem, but it was resolved. Since then, they have worked flawlessly. They are especially useful at night when the "triangle" helps following cars detect my direction and speed, etc., even when I am not braking. Plus, they really don't change the classic styling that I find appealing about the RSTD.

One thing though, take some time to be tidy. I need to trim wires, etc, because all the wires are packed into the housing behind the license plate. I am planning to add in trailer lights very soon, and will clean things up then... because I will have to. :innocent:

Dave

Greetings All,

I am looking for suggestions on increasing the tail lighting on my 2006 RSTD. Where I live there is limited light on the roads and I would like increase my safety percentage.

I once located a lightbar that converted the turn signals to stay on all the time as red while flashing as the normal orange. If I recall, when the brakes were applied the main tail light did a "LED dance" (that's a technical term).

Any ideas where I can locate such a contraption?

Thanks in advance!

Nick P

I put an LED tailight on my 05 a long time ago. It is very bright, but can't remember where I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

biggnikk, I installed the custom dynamic 100 led brake light and love it. I also added a license plate frame (jp cycles) with the signal led light bar and wired it up like a 3rd brake light. The license plate frame is very easy to wire with all the wiring directly behind the license plate.

Biker highway is another resource for the plug and play LEd Tail light either in the 32 or the 100 led. In regards to turn signal conversion the RSTD is on Back order at electrical connections. Kuryakyn also makes what is called a triple Whammy. We have this on my Wife's Vstar 1100 classic. It stay on until activating the turn signal or the brake. when you activate the brakes is flashes 3 times then goes solid. I have thought about mounting one up behind the backrest pad, but haven't really done to much with that yet,

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update. I took my RSTD in for its 4K checkup and had the passing lamps installed along with the Electric Connection rear Turn-Brake-Run LED's. Boy does this MC look sweet. I am waiting for the saddlebag rails and Wagner Grill to be delivered. Once I install the rails & grill it will be time to upload some photos of the final product.

A big THANK YOU to all that responded!

Nick P

Edited by biggnikkk

Here is a video of my rear lights..The 2 beside the license light (Blinking ones) are from Cycle Gadgets,The tail light is from custom dynamics 128 led,The one under trunk is from Chromeglow..I thin,The ones on the saddlebag rails are from Diamond R. Here is the you tube video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cN3bvUTxg]YouTube- MC Lights[/ame]

Greetings All,

Nick P

There is all kinds of stuff out there, some is really bright (some not so bright) and works great. The LED technology is moving fast and they are getting brighter. Most any lights you add are gonna improve your visibility.

I highly recommend the 100 LED from custom dynamics.

I ride with a couple of guys and one has the run turn signal configuration I think you were talking about. I think his kit is the Panacea kit from Kurykan (sp) To me this set up is not as bright and noticeable since I ride behind him regularly. I think the reason is...they use some of the LEDs for the yellow turn signal and some different ones for the running lights, so there are fewer LEDs burning at once and they do not put off that much light. There may be some better out there, and these work great but in all lighting conditions, not much added to the advisability part especially in the full sunlight daytime, which is the true test to added visibility.

I would replace the incandescent bulbs with the full LED turn signals and install some additional lighting for extra running lights. There is all kinds of stuff out there and really none of it is that hard to take some aluminum flat bar or angle you get from Lowes and build some way to mount it.

Here is your chance to find something new and make it work.

Here is the back of my bike

• 3 weeks later...