IGNORED

Whining Venture now in Print

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I scanned this in and yall can now see it for yourself. The guy who answers the tech question never mentions the 'I' basket....hmmm....

BTW the scan is from the April 2010 issue of Rider magazine.

I just had a thought... Rare... What would happen if the entire clutch basket were swapped out with one from a 1stGen?? I don't even know if they would be interchangeable. Maybe someone here could shed some light on the subject??

I just had a thought... Rare... What would happen if the entire clutch basket were swapped out with one from a 1stGen?? I don't even know if they would be interchangeable. Maybe someone here could shed some light on the subject??

If it works, someone is welcome to change with mine:rotfl:......My 85 whines really loud on hot summer days between 55-65 mph, so it doesnt appear to be just a G2 issue.

Brian

If it works, someone is welcome to change with mine:rotfl:......My 85 whines really loud on hot summer days between 55-65 mph, so it doesnt appear to be just a G2 issue.

Brian

I think everything with this pattern engine has some whine. It's those pesky drive gears.

A couple of years ago I was at Deal's Gap, parked well in and close to the road, almost to the grass. 129 was at about head level and probably twenty or thirty feet away from where I was. I heard what had to be a second gen going north/upwards. He was taking it easy and it had a pretty distinct whine. I looked over/up and saw that it was a V-Max. I've never noticed one doing it from above/along side, but it was sure noticeable from mostly below.

I think everything with this pattern engine has some whine. It's those pesky drive gears.

A couple of years ago I was at Deal's Gap, parked well in and close to the road, almost to the grass. 129 was at about head level and probably twenty or thirty feet away from where I was. I heard what had to be a second gen going north/upwards. He was taking it easy and it had a pretty distinct whine. I looked over/up and saw that it was a V-Max. I've never noticed one doing it from above/along side, but it was sure noticeable from mostly below.

I've never heard a 2nd gen whine unless I was riding it. I've got a couple of friends that both have the whine. I have ridden beside them countless times and I have never heard the whine even though they both tell me it is very loud. I rode both and they are right they are very loud sitting on the bike but riding beside it I can not hear it.

Ventures are not alone in this area. I friend of mine purchased a new 2009 Ultra Glide. It whines so bad in first and fifth gears I can't hear my radio if I am riding next to or behind him. Even though I am using helmet speakers the radio is still overwhelmed by the screech. He made a video tape of a ride on it and sent it to Harley. It also is worse when his engine is warm. The difference is a lot of people seem to expect this on a Harley. Yamaha at least is trying to repair the offending bikes when they come in under warranty.

Mike

:stickpoke:And to think,back in the late 80-early 90 we paid extra to put a gear drive timing gears in street rods and for a little more $$:mo money: you could get a really noise set. Maybe YAMAHA thinks this is what we like .Just like the cassette player we all are so fond of. :doh: