IGNORED

Help..Help..Help. Leather cleaning

jachuck49

Evidently over the years..the backrest(passengers) on the trunk of my bike has gotten very dirty and needs cleaned.I've only had this bike for 2 yrs,so all this dirt isn't my fault.During this past summer I'd put the bike up for sale and had it sitting out in the sun.What has happened is...all the (probably Armorall) thats been applied has had a melt down.In various places the leather has sticky spots on it. It almost reminds me of the sapp you get on a peach tree. In trying to remove it I've found the true color of the leather....Outside border is a dark brown,while the inner panel is a lighter brown. Problem is...it's not all coming off and it's blotchy at best.Heres the things I've tried so far. Armorall leather cleaner...Spic&Span...Murphys oil soap..and even finger nail remover (in small spot) nothing seems to get it all.The sale of the bike could hinge on me getting it cleaned OR if someone has a all dark brown one for sale. If you have a good one for sale let me know what you'd want for it...my email address is jachuck49@yahoo.com Thanks.:sick::(:sick::(:sick::(:confused24:

That's a real common problem and they all seem to do that. My whole seat did that as well as the backrest. Good luck as I even tried gas and kerosene with little success.

What finally helped was liquid shoe polish. Brought it back to presentable condition, followed by a couple of coats of neutral shoe wax, although I'm told that good old Johnson's paste wax works as well...

BTW the seat is not leather but rather the hyde of the mighty Nauga beast!

If you do have leather, you need to use a leather product made for finished surfaces. The industry leader and best product is Lexol.

Use a two part product, cleaner and then conditioner. A one part product just can't do the same job. too compromised.

If it is Naugahyde, that is just a fancy name for vinyl. Use Lexol VINYLEX it is better than Armorall.

If you do have leather, you need to use a leather product made for finished surfaces. The industry leader and best product is Lexol.

Use a two part product, cleaner and then conditioner. A one part product just can't do the same job. too compromised.

If it is Naugahyde, that is just a fancy name for vinyl. Use Lexol VINYLEX it is better than Armorall.

dynodon ,

With ALL DUE RESPECT , Are you on Crack ?

Lexol is the "yes" one the leaders of the "WORST" product in the industry !!!! It's so bad , I wouldn't even recommend it to Charlie .:rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

Only thing good about Lexol is that it so gummy , you will stick to the seat !

Best thing for Naugie is a damp cloth to wipe it clean . If it has already started cracking , the vynl is already cooked . All the purdy little bottled products only make it shine , not reverse the damaging process . Most products only allow the sunlight to magnify the heat onto the naugie causing advanced deteriation . Best to cover the seats with a covering when not in use is the best preventative measure .

A little slickem product on the seat now and then will help the bluejeans from grasping the naugie and not stretch the vynl as bad as your butt glides across .

Lexol is bad "JuJu" in my personal and professional opinion . As Lewis recommended , a vynl spray will help the naugie cosmetics .

Now for a report for leather . Some have seen my leather on my scoot . It has been in major rainstorms and has gotten many good soakens . I just now placed a second application of Saddle Butter on them this weekend . It's been close to or barely over a year now since it's first application . If I were to use Lexol , I would have had to use at least 6 applications and also suffer a gummy builded up with dirt trapped in it . I strongly advise anyone not to use Lexol .

Off my Rant now and no dis-respect to dynodon .

BEER30

• 6 months later...

My 85 VR had nasty rough sticky leather on the backrest and on the back portion of my seat. I tried a little to clean and fix it but didnt want to mess it up worse so I took it to a Fibrerenew dealer and for 50 bucks he cleaned up the leather, got rid of the rough spots and even filled a couple of small cracks. I wanted a black seat so i had him dye it for me, and it looks like new, all for 50 bucks. I think it was a good deal as i think it would have taken me several hours to get it even half as good as this guy did.

So if you have a fibrerenew dealer in your area check it out I was real happy with the job.