It is that time of year to think about lubing the speedometer on the 1st gen. It is usually worse when the weather is cool and probably when the bike has sat for awhile. Even though you don't need the type fitting in the attached thread, it does work good. Other wise, you will need to take the speedometer out of the dash and put grease down inside of where the bearing is that the cable goes into. Putting grease up into the square hole where the end of the speedometer does not work because the hole does not go all the way through.

Anyway check out this thread.

RandyA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36254&highlight=speedometer+squeal

Edited by Venturous Randy

I just put a grease zerk on mine. I spin the front wheel while I squeeze the handle on the grease gun so the grease gets evenly distributed. I haven't heard a squeak since.
Are you referring to the same thing randya is or did you put the zerk somewhere else?

I carefully drilled a hole then tapped it and screwed in a zerk onto the speedometer housing itself. First I went almost all the way with a drill bit. I went slow and checked often to make sure I wasn't drilling into the shaft. Then finished it off with the Dremel. I made sure there weren't any burs left anywhere. Then I tapped it and added the zerk. In hindsight, I could've put a length of hose between the speedometer and the zerk so I could've remotely located the zerk so I didn't have to take anything apart to grease the speedometer. Oh well, maybe the next time I'm in there.

I thought I had pics. But I was wrong. I'll get some the next time I'm in there.

Seems like a lot more difficult than the zerk adapter method but with the remote it would be much easier for long term maintenance. A pic would be nice, had a look at the parts fiche but it isn't from the right angle and is too difficult to figure out where you put it.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Thank You!!!!

My last ride before I put the bike up last year. I suddenly had a very loud squeal coming from the front end. I immediately broke from our group and pulled over in a parking lot, and could not find any problems with the front end. Drove it the 15 miles the rest of the way home. I figured it was the speedo cable. Have not torn into it over the winter, but it is getting close to the time to ride again.

It looks like the speedo needs grease, which this thread helps out considerably.. THANK YOU.

:thumbsup:

Ed