IGNORED

OK...What do I need to buy?

Went for an awesome ride today (thanks for leading Randya), but in the middle of the ride the spedo started screaming. Then it decided not to come home with me. I suppose that means we've moved past the "lube it and it'll be ok" point. How much is this going to cost me?:mo money:

Here ya go. Looks like less than $20. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

If it turns out to be the speedo itself, I have one from an '83.

Monty,

I'm not trying to cut you out of a sale, but...

The 83 unit may not match the 86 tach unit for style.

The first picture is of an 88 unit, which I think is similar to the 86.

Second picture is of the 83 unit.

Note differences in Speedo & Tach faces between the units.

Gary

I had the same thing happen on my '83... moaning when cold...., And on Kurts '84..deader than a door nail. In both cases it was nothing more than a loose jam nut at the back of the speedo. Re-tightening the cable jam nut on the back of the speedo ain't easy... 'specially if you have big hands..., but it can be done by pulling the headlight assembly, the left turnsignal lens, and using a long needle nose. Take a look at that before going out a spending any money.

My cable broke and I purchased one at NAPA auto parts that was a universal cable and cut to fit and crimped on the end. All I have to do was file down the diameter of the end slightly. I have had it on there for about 30,000 miles now and still doing good. I covered the cable with grease when I installed it.

Something to keep in mind, if it is the cable, is that the part that usually breaks is the metal flexible rod in the cable assembly. If you are to get a custom cable, you should be able to keep the outter rubber cable and connection assemblies. The old inner cable slides right out.

Switched out the speedo guts from an MKII to my MKI cause of that loud howling this last weekend. Did the white grease for cable and speedo and that did not work.

Face plates can be different between the years, mine is black and the one I picked up was brownish pink. Changing the face plate is no big deal, its hoping you got the needle back on in the right place.

Btw, that little dimmer knob has a tiny philips screw in it.

Late last summer my speedo cable did the "howl" (I'm pissed at you Dad for something) to me. Before I could get it home it quit. Turns out the cable came off the back of the speedometer.

And yes, Man with big hands has trouble getting cable back on and tightened. I feel for those of us with this problem.

:sign **** happens:

SoldeirBoy

If you take the two bolts out from the gauge cluster, you might be able to lift it high enough to get some long needle nose in there. The annoying part is getting that cable nut back on when it is off. That darn cable nut will slip out of your fingers and down the sheath, again and again...

If you take the two bolts out from the gauge cluster, you might be able to lift it high enough to get some long needle nose in there. The annoying part is getting that cable nut back on when it is off. That darn cable nut will slip out of your fingers and down the sheath, again and again...

It also helps to put a big plastic wire tie around the cable housing near the top and that will keep the housing from dropping out.

RandyA