IGNORED

I really need to find someone in Calgary area!

Oldslow

I need to put my mind as ease a little. Without getting into much detail and risk maligning the RSV folks, I want to compare bikes for sound and feel. I'm wondering how much engine vibration I should be feeling and how much noise I should be hearing.

Being this bike was bought "untested" I'm a tad paranoid!

So if anyone is in the Calgary area and could help a guy out I be obliged! :fingers-crossed-emo

If I understand correctly, you've purchased an RSV and feel engine vibration and are hearing noises that you're concerned about, and would like to ride another RSV to see if it has the same vibrations/noises. Is that correct?

If so, this might be useful information for you:

When my wife and I test rode a (new) RSTD, it was extremely smooth. That was an 18 mile loop during Yamaha Demo Days. A couple of months later we test rode a (new) RSV, and felt an engine vibration. I could feel it a tiny bit in the handlebars and floorboards. She was feeling it a lot through the passenger backrest, and some through the floorboards. For her, it was so bad that it made her nauseous, and she had me turn around after 6 miles and return to the dealer. It was also low on power. I had to rev it like a sportbike to get it to move from a stop. The dealer said there must be something wrong, and said they'd fix it so we could test it again. The dealer called us a few days later and said they sync'ed the carbs, and that fixed it.

So the following weekend, we returned to the dealer and did another test ride. The power was there now, but after about 2 miles, my wife said the vibration was still bad, and had me turn back. We had someone from the dealership take the bike out with me on the back (no comments, I got enough when we did it!) as a test, and I could feel it also.

After that test, while we were speaking with the dealership about it, a guy pulls up out front with his RSVM. So, the dealership folks and us ask him if he has time for a quick test. He's super nice and agrees, and goes for a quick test loop (on his bike) with my wife on the back. She reports that it was like the RSTD, smooth.

Fast forward a few weeks, and we test ride a low miles 2005, and it's smooth, also. Didn't buy that one because it had a strong gas odor after riding. I then found this forum, and read about the dreaded clutch basket chirp. A few more weeks go by and I find a mint condition, 8k miles loaded '06. We test ride that one, and it's smooth, quiet, and odorless. Sold.

It could be that the dealership didn't get the carb sync right, and that's what was causing the vibration, or it could be a multitude of other things. With me, it definitely wasn't from lugging the engine. With my sportbike/racing history, I like engines in their powerband.

As far as vibration goes, the RSV should be smooth. If it's not, I'd highly suggest a carb sync as a first troubleshooting step. On the RSV, it's super easy and only takes about 15 or 20 minutes, including coffee breaks. For engine noises, if you describe what you're hearing, the VentureRider family should be able to help you diagnose. If it's an annoying chirp, there are about a zillion posts here about it.

I'm a bit far from Calgary, so I hope this helps instead.

I need to put my mind as ease a little. Without getting into much detail and risk maligning the RSV folks, I want to compare bikes for sound and feel. I'm wondering how much engine vibration I should be feeling and how much noise I should be hearing.

Being this bike was bought "untested" I'm a tad paranoid!

So if anyone is in the Calgary area and could help a guy out I be obliged! :fingers-crossed-emo

I have had 5 Royal Stars, 3 of them Ventures, 1 Tour Classic, and 1 Tour Deluxe. Total miles to date, 184,000+.(still have the 2007) I have never had a noise or vibration issue, I truely believe if you have either of these issues they can be fixed by a good dealer under warrenty.

As far as noise it's tough to word it. It seems to be in front and sounds similar to a whine of a trucks wheels going down the hiway...it may be a vibration from wind. It is only apparent at or above hiway speed.

It could be the tire itself I hear? I'm not so concerned with it as I wear earplugs and generally the wind noise will dull it down.

The vibration I feel is vague but there. I can feel it in the grips and the floorboards. It's in all the gears as you rev it out. Not really noticeable until the rpms get up. Being as there's no tach it's difficult to say what the engine is at!

I test rode an 09 from a dealer last year. I don't remember either of these 2 things....

while at speed, pull in the clutch and let the throtle loose and see if the vibration is still there... if so, then its not the carbs or engine...

keep us posted

As far as noise it's tough to word it. It seems to be in front and sounds similar to a whine of a trucks wheels going down the hiway...it may be a vibration from wind. It is only apparent at or above hiway speed.

It could be the tire itself I hear? I'm not so concerned with it as I wear earplugs and generally the wind noise will dull it down.

The vibration I feel is vague but there. I can feel it in the grips and the floorboards. It's in all the gears as you rev it out. Not really noticeable until the rpms get up. Being as there's no tach it's difficult to say what the engine is at!

I test rode an 09 from a dealer last year. I don't remember either of these 2 things....

Vibration/buzzing occurs only on acceleration. Starts to become really noticeable at high rpm.

Non existent when the throttle released and clutch in.

Getting a tingling in the feet and hands and thru the new backrest.

First thing I need to find out is getting my warranty in order.

How does one transfer warranty?