IGNORED

Memorial Day/Rolling Thunder

Hummingbird

I have been going to Rolling Thunder for many years now. It is my annual must go bike trip. You have much to see for your first trip there. If you haven't made reservations yet, I stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Springfield, VA. You will really enjoy the event and the somber mood will get to you, some what. You will never see this many motorcycles in one place again in your life. Saturday this year, my friend and I are riding east on highway 50 to see the eastern shore of Maryland. If you have a full touring bike, I could get you (if you are solo) into the VIP group that carry a Gold Star mother or Blue Star mother at the beginning of the ride. Just send me a PM.

:farmer:

Slyvester - my wife is riding with me and there are (right now) 3 other bikes. The lead bike ( Frank Kemp) has been there many times, not sure how many but he and his wife have an itinerary of things they have seen/done in the past. We're staying at the Residence Inn just outside DC.

Riderduke - It would be cool to possibly meet up for a M&E - don't know how much time we'll have.

Slyvester - my wife is riding with me and there are (right now) 3 other bikes. The lead bike ( Frank Kemp) has been there many times, not sure how many but he and his wife have an itinerary of things they have seen/done in the past. We're staying at the Residence Inn just outside DC.

Great, you will have an experienced member to guide you. Hopefully we will meet (600,000 bikes), probably not. Best of luck and ride safe, the DC traffic can be really bad.

• 1 month later...
I go most every year. when are you planning on coming down? I might just have to put together a M&E to coinside with Rolling Thunder!

Hey Duke, Kitty and I looking for a cheap way to go to RT. You got any ideas? Too far to make it from here in one day, and $120 a nite rooms are out of the question on my budget.

we got camping gear and ain't afraid to use it!!!! OutKast

I'm a member of Rolling Thunder NC-5 . I have gone to DC the last 2 years. Depending of work will dictate if I'm able to go this year. For Rolling Thunder members , it's work the entire time we are there. Our Chapter is assigned Security at the Friday Night Gold Star Visual at the Wall (if they have again this year) and at the in the Pentagon Parking Lot and Reflection Pool. We stay at Rolling Thunder HQ at the Hyatt in Crystal City.

Sylvester , this coming year will be some changes as I was told. Being that there was a huge screw up last year in security. RT National Security is going to be more strict on whom is at the front of the line and whom will be there. I'm not going to explain why , but be prepared. Our Chapter will be right behind National and some of the VIP's as our Chapter has the honor of many important task. Since I have been going to RT , I have only seen 2 people allowed in the front group and they had to have permission from National to do so. One was a Veteran with one leg whom road numerous miles to be at RT. It was a safety issue as well as an honor to bring him forward. Another was a Gold Star Mother whom wanted to ride. Even our non-member's guest have to go to the tail end if they want to ride in the demonstration.

If you get to the Pentagon Parking lot , be prepared with food a drink and a chair with umbrella ! CMA, PGR and other volunteer groups do an excellent/outstanding job in helping where needed. The weather is unforeseen at this time , so be prepared. They pack the bikes in nice and tight to let you know and it get's hot on that asphalt. If you get there early and have a small cook stove , you better have a fire extinguisher for every bottle/can of fuel , or I will nail you ! Bummer there is no booze allowed , but hey that is the rules. I'll have to confiscate that myself as well. LOL !

Watch for the fly-over and Artie mounting the scoot .......Let's Ride !

BEER30

Thanks Beer 30, I have VIP rider arranged by RT national and have every year. After this many years they expect me.

Be safe,

COOL BEANS !

I hope to go this year. But with all the work we have , it's hard to say. The Boss said if it looks good , I will be going solo. Hoping to go and if I can , I'll look you up. Last year RiderDuke and Courtney found me up near the front. I'm assuming we will be in the same place.

BEER30

I'll be there with NC-5 as well. This is my first year riding. The first time I saw RT was in 2002, but I was sitting in a Hummvee in the turret behind my pea-shooter on the oposite parking lot for security during reconstruction. Maybe well get to see some VR members.

Hey guys - all that are going to RT this year - my phone # is in my profile. Give me a call when you get there, sure would like to make a connection with names and faces. It looks like my wife will NOT be going - unforseen circumstances - damn, I really wanted her to experience this first time with me.

If anyone is coming fri, sat, or sun, I still have room available at my house.

Yeah but there is a catch.

You have to a Dark Gray metallic GL1800 with goodies. :whistling:

But he will not let you go home without a ride, he will give you the RSV, plus payment book. :7_2_104[1]:

Yeah but there is a catch.

You have to a Dark Gray metallic GL1800 with goodies. :whistling:

But he will not let you go home without a ride, he will give you the RSV, plus payment book. :7_2_104[1]:

Hey, how am I to pull it off if you blab it all over????? :soapbox:

Thanks Beer 30, I have VIP rider arranged by RT national and have every year. After this many years they expect me.

Be safe,

Sylvester:

George "LONG TALL" here in Lynchburg, VA.....Been thinking about doing this for a few years now..Always ended up on a trip somewhere or with Grandkids....Wife is a nurse and working that weekend...I'm FREE....

I'm Pres. of our local STAR Chapter here in Lynchburg #223 and I ride an 06 RSV....I could bring the wife's two helmets if I could hook up and honor a GOLD STAR MOM with a ride...We have supported the local RT Chapter at their annual D-Day Memorial Event in Bedford, VA for the past 5 years.....I'll PM you with my contact info if you would let me know I could be of use to a GOLD STAR MOM....

Long Tall

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving bright and early tomorrow (Friday) mourning towards DC. Will be a "The Wall" Friday night. Navy Memorial and VA Medical Center Saturday and Pentagon Parking lot Sunday .

Riderduke ......you know where I will be parked, look for the Flags! If I am not at my scoot, give me a call on the cell. Unfortunately , I will be 1-up as Becky is sitting this one out. Hope to see as many as I can of all of you as much as possible.

BEER30

I too am all packed and loaded on the bike. All that is left is my diddy bag and the clothes on my back. Bike is backed into garage and all ready for a 6:30 AM departure. This year I am bringing both my STAR vest and my Patiot Gaurd vest so I will be ready for anybody. Only glitch was that I found I left my switch on acc. last night so I have a dead battery on charge right now :doh:, but at 2 amps. it won't be too long.

Everybody have good motoring and please be safe!

Hey everybody attending, I am in the Southern Maryland area 25 mins from DC. If anyone would like to get together for lunch saturday (I'm a cop and work part time sat night so would have to be lunch) let me know. Also if anyone is in a jamb for lodging let me know, I have a guest room and garage space! Cell # is in my profile or PM me!

:cop:

Hey everybody attending, I am in the Southern Maryland area 25 mins from DC. If anyone would like to get together for lunch saturday (I'm a cop and work part time sat night so would have to be lunch) let me know. Also if anyone is in a jamb for lodging let me know, I have a guest room and garage space! Cell # is in my profile or PM me!

:cop:

I appreciate your offer, but I have other arrangements. Maybe some others will take you up on your offer. Don't shoot yourself in the foot like I did, but that was before I put on the badge.