IGNORED

Just lost all CMS icons and will not start!

Howdy all!

I was just going out to start the bike. I turned the key on, and the CMS BIT check went through its normal process. After all checks cleared, I hit the start button everything went off and no start!

I checked the fuses on both fuse panels and they're alright. The main fuse is good too. I also checked the other little fuse on the negative side of the battery.

The radio works fine, but that seems to be the only thing that works (when ignition switch is on accessory). I have no headlights, turn/hazard lights, tail light or start.

The battery is good, I just put it on the battery tender and it already had a full charge.

My thoughts are it could be a relay (which one, I don't know) or a CMS.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

I pulled the battery terminals off, cleaned them with sand paper, cleaned the battery cable connections, and reconnected, leaving off the battery tender leads and another lead I have connected for accessory.

It started right up!

I started it three times. On the second start, I thought I saw a spark near the upper brake bleed port. When I started it the third time, I didn't see anything. No fuses were blown, so I might just be seeing things (too much exhaust maybe, lol). Either way, I may look for chaffed wires or other little things that may cause a potential problem.

Thanks again for the help! It was such an easy fix, that I didn't even bother thinking of corroded connections...

EDIT: This website is great! Thanks everyone for helping to get my bike going!

Did you say when the problem initially occurred the radio worked, but only in the ACC. position? That would likely be ignition switch, or maybe connector where it plugs into the harness. Spark in that neighborhood could be caused by the same thing.

It could be... I know that it would work in ACC, but not in ON. I did clean the contacts up and it works great. I haven't seen a spark and haven't blown any fuses. I know it wasn't an "arc", but a spark. I think it could have been my battery contact bolt getting loose as I may have forgotten to tighten it completely. I ensured I tightened it it works fine now.