IGNORED

So you think your Yammi dealer is clueless?

SilvrT

Thought I'd drop into a couple of our local Yamaha shops and see what was available for windshields (other than stock). Like a wider one and maybe a bit shorter than stock.

So, I asked the question.. "What options do you offer for windshields for a Royal Star Venture?"

First dealer: "We have a few different ones but you also have to buy the mounting hardware."

Me: "What mounting hardware? The windshield bolts to the existing fairing bracket."

First dealer: "For what kind of bike is it?"

Me: "A 2006 Royal Star Venture"

First dealer: "Let me look" ... she goes through a couple catalogues muttering about the brackets and then says "We don't list anything for 2006, only 1996 thru 2001 for a Royal Star"

Me: " I said Royal Star Venture.... they are made from 1999 thru 2010 and are all the same"

First dealer: "Well, I don't list anything and you'll still probably have to buy the mounting kit"

Me: "Forget it!" and I walked out.

Second Dealer: (I asked the same question but spoke with a sales rep) "Yamaha sells one. I'll get a printout for you" He comes back and sure enuf, it's a shorter, wider one... to the tune of $288.

Me: "What about non-Yamaha ones...??"

Second Dealer: "I don't think anyone makes them ... and if they did, the quality just wouldn't be there."

Me: "OK, thanks" ... and I leave.

geeeeeesh! What the heck is the matter with these people around here... they just don't cater to the "touring rider" by offering much of anything in the way of accessories for the RSV, let alone knowing much about them it seems.

I remember several years ago when I had my '85 Venture I had to go to a Kawasaki shop to get a new "non-Yamaha" windshield and a pair of Jardine mufflers coz the local Yammi dealer "couldn't get them".... it must be that Yamaha is very restrictive as to what their dealers can / can not sell.

No, I just think you were right with what you said first-they are clueless. Dealers don't pay alot so they get average or below help, and if you asked the workers there i'm sure they would tell you how hard it is to work there. Seems like the American mindset, you know, just do enough to get by and if it isn't good enough someone else can fix it. Sorry, I had my rant now, I'll crawl back in my hole:soapbox:

ShowChrome, shorty-fatty. 3 1/2" shorter and 4" wider. Lists for $129, but I got mine for $85 new on eBay. Love it! I'll never go back to the stock windshield.

And I've yet to meet a Yami dealer that was worth a $hit about anything, or a Suzuki or Kawi dealer for that matter (oh wait, they are all the same dealer!) :rotfl:

Geeze Rick, after your bout with the I basket you're still going back to the dealer?? Are you a masochist?? There are a bunch of aftermarket windshield makers. What are you thinking??? :whistling: :rotf::rotf:

Danged if I know .... guess I figgure things will change .... but I just keep getting older!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

so mmmmm....... dunno if i should ask which dealers you went to . tho i do have an idea. Western ps wouldnt be one would it . not a bad parts dept, if they've got it in stock.but i would never ever buy a bike from them again. i buy most of my parts(Triumph and Yamaha) from the States ,then have em shipped to Point Roberts . way better choice and price and that includes paying tax at the border.

So you think your Yammi dealer is clueless?

YES, that is why this forum is so popular.

If the dealer knew 30% of the info here, and knew where to look up the other 70%, I would have no reason to come to the forum, but sense my local Yamaha dealer has a negative IQ, I come here daily...

so mmmmm....... dunno if i should ask which dealers you went to . tho i do have an idea. Western ps wouldnt be one would it . not a bad parts dept, if they've got it in stock.but i would never ever buy a bike from them again. i buy most of my parts(Triumph and Yamaha) from the States ,then have em shipped to Point Roberts . way better choice and price and that includes paying tax at the border.

Port Moody & Langley

I'll probably wind up getting a Clearview but since I was "poking around" bike shops, thought I'd pop the question while there ... had a feeling I wouldn't have much luck LOL

On another note Celt... how's the "abstaining" going and what about that guitar stuff eh? I've been slowly getting better... got myself to a point where I can strum out a bit of a tune and change chords D, E, A without lookin at my fingers LOL ... been working on "Brown eyed Girl" ... just the strumming part recently. http://www.learn-acoustic-guitar.com/brown-eyed-girl-by-van-morrisson still struggling with the chords on that one tho but it's comming. Also been messin around with Wild Thing ... http://www.learn-acoustic-guitar.com/wild-thing-as-performed-by-the-troggs

Guest human4m

Here's a kicker... Where I live in Jacksonville, NC there's ONE Yamaha dealership... Britt Motorsports... So, if I decide to go out of town to shop, the next closest place is in Wilmington (About an hour away) Guess what??? It's Britt Motorsports of Wilmington. Here's where it gets even better: http://www.wwaytv3.com/britt_motorsports_facing_felony_charges/10/2009

Nice to know my only local choices are places that are run by guy like that...

Nonetheless, It's been almost a month since I ordered my windshield (the first time) and I still don't have it. It's supposed to be in today...

The good news is, since it took them so long to get it right, they're giving it to me free!

Yeah. Nothing like being told from a Yamaha service manager that BOTH carbs need cleaned. Uh. No thanks.

Besides poured an entire bottle of seafoam into at the beginning of the riding season. Took it to a friend of mine that knows what he was doing towards the end of the season. Carb Tuned it. It was close but once it was spot on, ran like a champ.