IGNORED

Another wiring problem

straycatt

My bike was wired for a trailer already when I got it.

It has a converter under the seat and a four wire pig tail for the trailer hook up.

The trailer that I just picked up is an Cycle Mate brand. It has two brake / running lights and two amber turn lights hanging off the back.

The trailer is wired with a five wire hook up.

And now we get to H E L P.

Can I re-wire the trailer to still use the red brake / running and amber turns, or am I going to have to replace the light assemblies with combo brake / turn / running units?

Thanks for the help, I have zero experience with five wire trailers.

This may help you a little. See attached picture.

You should be able to use the lights you describe.

Can you put power to each wire and determine its function?

First identify ground, should be green, maybe black.

Then put 12 volts to each of remaining wires and note which lights illuminate.

I may be able to give you a suggestion as to rewiring.

Also, I saw online, there is a converter from a 5 wire to a 4 wire system, but this was predicated on the vehicle being 5 wire.

Gary

Gary, he's trying to go the other way. He has a 5 wire trailer but the bike already has the 4 wire converter.

Stray, to clarify my earlier post - Your motorcycle has a 5 wire system, just like the trailer. That converter under your seat is so you can connect a 4 wire trailer.

All you need is a 5 pin plug (to match the trailer) wired into the motorcycle system. I suggested wiring it into the harness where the converter connects just because it helps you find the right wires. Also, keeps all the connections together.

I really didn't want to re-wire the bike, it's a lot easier to re-work the trailer as it needs some other clean up while I'm at it. I'm fairly certain this is the only trailer this bike will ever tow.

I have isolated each circuit on the trailer. I'm having a hard time understanding a way to make the individual single element bulbs of four different light assemblies function properly with only three wires. (the fourth being the ground)

Gary, he's trying to go the other way. He has a 5 wire trailer but the bike already has the 4 wire converter.

Stray, to clarify my earlier post - Your motorcycle has a 5 wire system, just like the trailer. That converter under your seat is so you can connect a 4 wire trailer.

All you need is a 5 pin plug (to match the trailer) wired into the motorcycle system. I suggested wiring it into the harness where the converter connects just because it helps you find the right wires. Also, keeps all the connections together.

You're right Carl, that's exactly what I have, but there are only four wires coming off the converter.

Edited by straycatt
spelling

Gary, thanks. But that diagram is for a conventional four wire trailer with the combination stop / turn / running lights.

I suspect that I'm going to have to either re-wire the bike as Carl says or replace the four individual trailer lights with the two combo stop / turn / run lights.

Maybe it will just be easier to re-do the bike.

Gary, thanks. But that diagram is for a conventional four wire trailer with the combination stop / turn / running lights.

I suspect that I'm going to have to either re-wire the bike as Carl says or replace the four individual trailer lights with the two combo stop / turn / run lights.

Is there a brake light on each side or just one in center?

Are the turn signals in a position where you could get the wiring for each one into its respective brake light if there are two?

Gary

I really didn't want to re-wire the bike, it's a lot easier to re-work the trailer as it needs some other clean up while I'm at it.

You don't need to "re-wire" the bike. You need to splice in a pigtail with connector where the converter box currently connects.

You cannot easily run a 5 wire trailer from a 4 wire connection. You'd need some sort of logic system to watch the wires and decipher what was going on. Then you'd want a power wire so back to 5..........

Yes.

The only thing you can realistically do with your current lights is to rewire the stop/run lights and ditch the amber ones. That's more work than simply connecting a 5 wire pigtail to the harness, under the seat, right where the converter currently plugs in.

I'm wondering if the real issue here isn't that you lack confidence in your ability so you'd rather tackle the trailer than risk screwing up the scoot. Perfectly understandable.

The better option would be to get a little help from someone that knows what he's doing. Then you learn some things and build your confidence for next time. You might even get me to make the trip if there's a hint of pizza.......

Glenn,

Alot of good idea's here, but just to throw another log on the fire. With the LED lights haveing such a low draw I wired directly from the bike ( 5 wire) to the trailer ( 5 wire)

works great w/o converter box. Lots of choices, if you need a hand give me a call and I can stop by some day. Great find on the trailer.

Glenn,

Attached is a schematic of the RSV wiring with a trailer hookup.

I showed with 5 wire plug connector.

Trailer is at bottom of page.

It would be the cleanest setup as MiCarl suggested for you to do away with the converter that is now on your bike for the 4 wire setup.

Gary

I finally understand this system. That simplified wiring diagram helped lots

Gary, thanks.

I still don't know which way I'll go, until I get the existing lights apart on the trailer to see what kind of shape they're in. Plus I may go all LED on the trailer anyway.

Thanks for the help and the offers of in person help, now that I understand how it actually works I've got it covered.

I finished with my lights today. All of the work was on the trailer only.

What I did was change the amber lens to red and wired them into the left and right turn / stop circuits when I changed the 5 pin connector to the 4 pin.

This gives me four red lights on the back of the trailer. Two running lights, two red turn signals on each side and four brake lights.

It's different enough that it really stands out when you look at it from behind.

Again, thanks to all for your help. :happy34::happy34::happy34:

I finished with my lights today. All of the work was on the trailer only.

What I did was change the amber lens to red and wired them into the left and right turn / stop circuits when I changed the 5 pin connector to the 4 pin.

This gives me four red lights on the back of the trailer. Two running lights, two red turn signals on each side and four brake lights.

It's different enough that it really stands out when you look at it from behind.

Again, thanks to all for your help. :happy34::happy34::happy34:

you should know the rules by now!!!:stickpoke::photographing:

OK, I'm back. Photo's as requested.

The first pic is running lights only, the bottoms and third eye lit.

Second is brakes, all four bottoms bright and third eye normal.

When the turns are on, both the top and bottom on the turn side blink bright and the two opposite stay bright, and third eye normal.

I like it.