IGNORED

Parts for Front Wheel bearing replacement

I have a dumb question here. If it has been answered many times before, my apologies. I've spent a good amount of time searching and did not find a direct answer to my question.

I've done wheel bearings on cars and trucks numerous times, but never on a bike. I don't really know a whole lot about them other than to take them out, spin them to check for flat spots, smooth rolling, etc. then grease the crap out of them and then put them back in.

I am looking to replace the front bearings on my 01 RSV (I have ~40k miles on it. got the bike at ~28k. Full records of dealer recommended services within 50 miles of the recommended service point), found them on partshark.com for $10.97/piece.

My questions are:

1) Is that a reasonable price, or would hitting an autoparts store for a generic replacement (if possible) be a better way to go.

2) Is it just a single wide 'bearing' or are there two (one for each side) -- (I know, probably a dumb question, but I figured it was better to ask then order the wrong number of them) -- DO'H, Found the answer to this on the next fiche I checked. 2, duh.

3) Do I need to grease them before I put them on? Can the old ones simply be re-greased and reinstalled? (I figured for 20 bucks for a set, I might as well just replace them even if they can be greased :confused24:)

4) Do I need new oil seals (I presume 2 of them; ie. one for each side)?

5) Any other parts that will need to get the job done?

Like I said, I know, some dumb questions - but I much rather ask and then get it done right the first time than what the other options could lead to.

Thanks a lot folks! :thumbsup2:

Oh yea, for what it is worth, most of my riding is in what would typically be considered 'extremely dusty conditions'. Thank you very much west Texas...

EDIT: I vaguely recall some folks either ordering bearings (possibly OEM from a dealer) and getting the wrong ones. Was that an issue with the dealer goofing up, or is it an incorrect part number on the fiche? -- This is also why I wanted to ask this question...

Edited by LilBeaver
Added stuff at the end

Been a while since I replaced front bearings but definately you want to replace the seals too.

I think the bearings are pre-greased but I can't recall. doesn't matter... grease 'em anyway.

ya need 2 of each and I think that's about all for parts.

btw, these bearings are single-unit meaning the bearing doesn't come out of the race like those on a car. ( I think ) LOL... memory..it's an age thing!

Been a while since I replaced front bearings but definitely you want to replace the seals too.

I think the bearings are pre-greased but I can't recall. doesn't matter... grease 'em anyway.

ya need 2 of each and I think that's about all for parts.

btw, these bearings are single-unit meaning the bearing doesn't come out of the race like those on a car...!

Thanks. This is pretty much in line with what I was thinking. :happy34:

I'll wait a little while for anyone else to chime in and probably go ahead and put an order in tonight.

By the way, maybe it isn't old age... Maybe memory is linked to hair loss...

That's what my dad tells me anyways. That is the more hair he loses the less he remembers; of course he still has a little left on the top and hasn't considered growing his eyebrows real long for the combover yet... :rasberry:

Last year, I replaced my berrings because one failed completely.

The replacement was not as straight forward for me as I first thought it would be.

The problem is, between the right and left berrings is a pipe, apparently used as a spacer. Now this pipe is the same diameter as the inner race of the berrings and fit tight between them. The result is I could not get a tool between the pipe and berring to pull the berring out.

After trying every tool in my box, I ended up cutting the inner race of one berring in two with a dremmel tool. This gave me a space to drive out the opposite berring by taping on the pipe. Then I was able to remove the cut berring from the oposite side.

Nothing trickey about reassembly. Don't forget the C clips on each side.

Good luck. Half the fun is figuring out how to make due with what you got.

One last question on this stuff. I obviously need the bearings and oil seal.

On the fiche I am seeing the part labeled as "collar" (#9. P/N: 90387-22016-00) on the fiche for 2001 RSV found at http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=39099&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2001&fveh=1032

Do I need to replace this collar as well?

Thanks all

One last question on this stuff. I obviously need the bearings and oil seal.

On the fiche I am seeing the part labeled as "collar" (#9. P/N: 90387-22016-00) on the fiche for 2001 RSV found at http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=39099&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2001&fveh=1032

Do I need to replace this collar as well?

Thanks all

Only if the collar is worn out but I doubt it.