IGNORED

JC Whitney fishtails....mounting brackets

bj66

This may have been covered before and I missed it, if I did, I apologize. Anyway I am thinking of adding fishtails to my bike. Already have Barons slash cuts, so I thought that maybe a cheap set of fishtails might be fun. Can't get much louder! Checking into the JC Whitney fishtails, i found that they are smooth pipes with no rearward mounting brackets at all. Are they ok to run just mounted to the headpipe only? You could use a "P" hanger bracket of some sort, but wouldnt look that good. If anybody is familiar with em I would appreciate hearing from you.

I agree with Freebird. Leo (Craig) used something but I'm not sure what he did he was going to not tie them up but they were just too heavy. They Do look GOOD on his 05 Midnight Venture.:happy34:

Hey bj66 i'll send Craig an e-mail with this thread on it. He doesn't come on here much so that way he knows I'm talking about him.:crackup:

I have a set and you do need rear brackets. I simply use a P bracket...I think it's a 5 inch. It doesn't look the best but it works. The pipes are a great inexpensive way to get a nice sound and a good look.

I have a set and you do need rear brackets. I simply use a P bracket...I think it's a 5 inch. It doesn't look the best but it works. The pipes are a great inexpensive way to get a nice sound and a good look.

Thanks, one more question, did you use a 32 inch long or a 36 inch long pipe. My slash cuts are 32s, and they just clear the rear of the saddle bag

I believe I used 36" pipes. Because of the fishtail design, the pipes need to extend past your bags, otherwise they won't fit. When I had mine on they extended @3 inches past the bag - basically, the fishtail part of the pipe. I've had my pipes for 3 years and they have worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally decided to get the fishtails, and JC Whitney doesnt offer the 36 inchers anymore. I found some others on Ebay for same money so I got them instead. Hopefully they will be here in a week or so. I am planning on making my rear mnt. bracket by mounting on inside of pipe next to frame. I can weld it with my wire welder so any discoloration should be hidden. The rest of the bracket could be painted with hi temp black paint, and should be hard to see. Anybody else have any ideas besides using a P clamp? By the way the pipes i got are made by V-Twin Mfg. Anybody know or heard them before?