i am burning the threads up tonight.i guess i got so mant question about the bike.how does the air adjustment work.i know there is a contol near the key hole and down near damper.how do i know that they are working .the last owner said they worked fine i dont have a manual with the bike so i have to rely on the owners and expert of these bikes.firt bike i owned with air ride adjustments. thanks again, breezelasbre

You didn't mention what year your bike is, but.....On my 83 when I had the stock fork springs, I used to run it at about 14#. After I converted the forks to Progressive springs, I ran it without any air pressure. If you have a Mark II (86-93) I think you will want a little less air pressure.

The rear suspension--I used to run it about 50# for normal use, and right up to the maximum (72#) for 2 up riding with over full bags and trunk. The black disk is for rear suspension damping. I'd use 2 or 3 for normal riding and 3 or 4 for 2 up full luggage.

Be careful not to use too much air pressure in either end. Back when I used to fill my forks, I'd set the regulator on my air compressor for about 15-18#. For the rear, I'd set it to just above where I wanted to end up. When you pull the air hose off the fitting, do it quickly so you loose the minimum air pressure.

Frank D.

it an 83. what is the gray knob near the air is that an adjuster

Yes. Just unscrew the knob and you will find a schrader valve for the air. You might want to check out the VR tech section on this site before you attempt to put air into it. It doesn't take much air to change it. There is a service manual here too. Look around everything you need to know is here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And Welcome.

DON"t hook a Air Compesser to them until you are sure of what you are doing. You can blow the front seals out. And the rear with too much air. If you have the controls on dash it will adjust it with the compessor on the bike. The controls will only work with the switch on Acc. I think. Mine is covered and it is bout 9 degrees out there.

Congrats on your new ride. It's clear that you're quite excited.

As previously pointed out, the service manual has recommendations for air pressure based on how much weight is on the motorcycle. Don't exceed the maximum pressures. In the end though, you'll need to find the pressures that work best for you.

Bear in mind that the springs in your Venture may not be stock. My 89 seems to have a progressive rear spring and high spring rate coils in the forks. I ride 2 up very heavy with 0 pressure in the forks and the rear at the mid point. When it's just my fat carcass I run 0 in front and very low in the rear. Anything higher and it is so harsh it beats us/me up.

I also respectfully suggest you send the 12 bucks to Freebird and become a supporting member. You're hooked, could be painful if you miss a couple days when the trial membership expires.:happy34: