IGNORED

Air Intake Question

I'm new on here, but I have an 83 that was Maxed out with 1/2 mm over bore, max carbs, and I made a set of tubes to replace the v boost.

I only get 25mpg, and have the raw gas smell at standing stop.

I was thinking that I am getting to much fuel, and might put the v-boost back in with a hand cable control.

All this talk about 40 mpg makse me want to put my spair 83 bone stock unit back on the road.

I'm new on here, but I have an 83 that was Maxed out with 1/2 mm over bore, max carbs, and I made a set of tubes to replace the v boost.

I only get 25mpg, and have the raw gas smell at standing stop.

I was thinking that I am getting to much fuel, and might put the v-boost back in with a hand cable control.

All this talk about 40 mpg makse me want to put my spair 83 bone stock unit back on the road.

A 1/2 mm overbore should only net you about 1213.4cc's as opposed to 1198 stock.

I would guess this was a ring resize bore?

If you are running 1200 venture, the pistons are different than a VMax so you won't have the same compression as a 1200 VMax.

With VMax carbs which are 35 mm and a lot bigger jets, and a stage 7 tubes you will be dumping a bucket full of gas in it.

Did you change heads or cams over?

Any exhaust modification?

Air box change?

TCI change?

Gary

Thanks, I'll check the flots, I am in the middle of redoing the swingarm, New shock and bushings, also got s/s braded front and rear brake lines to install, But its been HOT here in Arkansas, the work shop has no A/C, so I loose intrest very fast,

Installed a barnet clutch and springs. Fork tubes are from Franks Forks, 1 in shorter then stock. H/D travel trunk. Had the seat redon 12 years ago in Long Island. need more lights in front seams darker out here then the N East

Thanks, I'll check the flots, I am in the middle of redoing the swingarm, New shock and bushings

Look at service manual for torque specs on tightening swing arm down. Torque is set by right hand bolt & lock nut.

Only left side gets the lock washer.

Gary

don't do anything to the "tank cover" . As this actually funnels the air into the airbox inlet at highway speeds. Many have not placed this cover on properly only to have it blow into their face. Don't believe me ..open the gas door at 60mph or so. The air coming thru is more than enough.:) ANd drilling holes in the cover will cause a vacuum...just opposite of what you want....If you are running rich. Then it's likely floats are inproperly set or the needle/seats are worn. I had both of these probs for a while. I reset the floats , new needles...mileage is pretty much normal. 33-43mpg depending on how hard I do "The Twist".