IGNORED

Magic Jack

I have it and it works reasonably well. I've not cut "the cord" just yet. My main problem is the "organ donor" laptop I built to run it locks up after a couple of days. I've been too lazy to switch it to another one.

One thing I do really like is when someone leaves a voice mail, the .wav file of the voice mail along with the calling phone number comes as an email to my Blackberry. I can listen to the voice mail, on the Blackberry, then just click on the phone # to call the person back.

Edited by wes0778
spelling

39 bucks at walley world but your gonna git a San Antonio phone no. here , the neet thing is you can unplug it from your home puter and plug it into the laptop and take with you

The down side of that is ya gotta take a "regular" telephone, plugged in to it, with ya too.

i learn about it when i unplug the phone so i would not to answer when i was working with the puter , somebody called and it scared the you know what out of me , than i clicked it on to see who was calling me , the onboard mic heard me B--chin about the person who was calling .OOPS !

Magic Jack is great for travelers. I have a Little Rock number and my phone has rung in five different countries now. Wherever I have internet connection, I have free phone service to anyone back in the USA and they can call me regardless of what country I'm in. The voice message coming as an email attachment is fantastic.

One warning: The hardware is easy to break and Magic Jack will only replace it once (according to a fellow missionary). I run mine on a short USB extension to try and protect it.

BTW I also use Skype but prefer Magic Jack.

Lynn

I got the Magic Jack early on but my wireless internet provider didn't provide a very good service. It was much better than dial-up or satellite but dropped packets and other problems made the VoIP very choppy. I didn't use it much and decided to take it off the computer. They didn't have an uninstall program and to really clean it up involved getting into the registry. It was not a quick or easy job. I understand now that they make an uninstall program available on their website.

I also discovered something else when I was searching for a way to clean up the install. I often tend to get in a hurry and not rear the user agreement/license. Maybe they have changed things, but at the time:

From the EULA (End User License Agreement):

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for the magicJack device to work ... Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads.

I don't think I like that very much.