IGNORED

New question on passing lamps

I'm about to install my new passing lamps on my 06 R.S. Venture. Is it ok to pick up the power for the lamps off the power wire to the power outlet (cig lighter) the only thing I use the power outlet for is the GPS. The power outlet will already be fused and I'm wondering if I could eliminate the in line fuse to the lamps... then it would be much easier to get at if the fuse blows....:icon_smile_question

Terry

Not sure but I think you need more amperage. The thing is only a 5 amp fuse in there and the wires might not be big enough.

Check out the tech section on wiring passing lamps.

I wired mine straight from the battery using a relay. I found a constant (with key on) power source under the seat and used this to trigger the relay. My passing lamps are on all the time, I never did install the switch just bypassed it.

I do electrical work for a living and I would highly recommend using a relay and pull the power for the passing lamps from the battery through a fuse. You can pick up power to energize the relay from most anywhere....... just be sure the power drops out when the ignition switch is off so the lights won't stay on with the ignition switch in the off position. This is the way I installed my lights and they have been installed for over a year and I have had no problems. When I had the fairing split, I fished a straightened coat hanger down under the gas tank and I used it to pull a wire from the battery to the fairing for passing light power. That way I didn't have to pull the tank. This way if the passing lamps were to cause a fuse to blow, the passing lamps are the only thing that would lose power. There are probably a dozen ways to wire them but this was the way I preferred.

Edited by raceman62race

• 1 month later...
Wondering if the group can recommend an appropriate source and part item code to get the relay referenced in the threads.

Most automotive parts jobbers should carry the relay ... you want a Bosch 4 (I think it's 4) point relay. Bosch is a good one but anything comparable in quality would do.

I got one a few weeks ago from Advance Auto Parts in their electrical section for about $7. 15 amp relay, looks just like the one that came with my Stebel horn. I can post the part number if you have an Advance store near you and are need it.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you probably have found a source for your relay by now, but if you haven't here is couple of good places to shop for Relays and associated harnesses; "Eastern Beaver Company" is the first I would mention. I have used a lot of the items they sell over the years and it is the best you can buy in my opinion. The second is "Murphs Kits" Accessory Relay. It is a prewired socket and relay kit. I use them when installing the CCS-100 Audiovox Cruise on bikes.

David aka wngrr :guitarist 2: