IGNORED

Camping

Kirby

Do they provide anything with the cabin? Bedding, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know (and those of us who have to convince the rear speaker)

Sorry, no pics here either...but they do have heaters, beds, and often electrical outlets in them, so all you need to bring is your bedding and your laptop.

My wife & I now have a newer VR ('92), and a newer ('93) KwikKamp.

We used to pull our old Trav-Lite M/C camper behind our '83 V.

We seem to do the same as most on the board here, as we only get hotels in heavy rain, or on high mileage days. Otherwise, it's state campgrounds, or KOA's (which are very well equiped & usually very clean...but more $$$.) We've found some of our favorite campgrounds (privately owned), while searching out state ones. We also do the occcasional BLM land.

This past September, we did the Southern Utah & Colorado National Park tour (8 parks). Had a ball!!!

28* camping in Cortez, Co...(KOA just outside of Mesa Verde NP)...but inside the KwikKamp was warm and accomidating...(space heater & WiFi movies on the laptop!)

Our favorite camping spot on the whole trip...(once again by accident...looking for gas) was in Hite, Ut, which is in the Glen Canyon side of Lake Powell. BLM camping right on the edge of the lake! Georgeous camping & scenery, stars galore, very private...and within a short walk...flush potties!! (we highly recommend this place to anyone, and will be going back again!)

Here's the old rig...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_b12d8c107a0c9812a5021a5cbecfcc3e.jpg

and I'll have to scan one of the new rig...

When I am by my self I drive until I get tired, pull off at a rest area of some sort and use the picnic table(s). If weather is real bad, I'll get a cheap motel or something. And once every couple of days I'll get a cheap motel so I can shower, sleep well, etc.

The last couple of trips I have made have been 2-up and she is a little more picky than I am about where we stop for the night... So, I'll keep my eye on this thread; lots of good info here :) :thumbsup2:

I just bought my HR tailer for this exact reason. I love to camp and can't wait to get into the Shenandoah Valley and put up the tent. Thinking about all this just makes me want to go more.

Now, I'm gonna throw in a little plug for my Aun't very family oriented campground in NC. GREEN ACRES, in Bear Grass, NC is a great family owned campground if anyone is ever in the area. Bear Grass is near Williamston and not too far from Greenville. Let me know if you're ever in that area, I'll give them a call for you.

http://www.greenacresnc.com/Home_Page.php

Tell Bob and Janice, Ben sent you!

Ben

We started tent camping in 2006 with Moose. October in Rockville IN. 40 degrees and that was cold on the ground. Went to pulling a Bushtec to carry the tent, air mattress, etc. We went to the rally in Colorado like this. After that we decided we wanted a camper to get off the ground and be able to carry everything the wife wants, :confused24:.

We had seen Moose's Aspen Classic and liked it. We didn't have the resouces for a new one so I started looking for used ones. I found a 1994 Bunkhouse in TN for $1200.00 and jumped on it. It had the original tires on it and the tent is almost like new. Hauled it to the rally in Kitchner Ontario. We've been very pleased with it. Pics of it are in my gallery.

We got back into camping when the grandkids got big enough. We did the three room tent thing with air mattress and it was fun, but no matter how you do it you are still on the ground. About three or four years ago we ran across an old Travelite, I believe, sitting in a mans yard and got a killer deal. I took it all apart and redid the tub, tires, and wiring and other than needing some fabric work, it is a fun setup. A couple of years ago we took a week and went down toward middle Tn and stayed at Fall Creek Falls State Park for a few days, moved over to Townsend for a few more days then to the valley below Mt. Mitchell just off the BRP.

One of the things we did was get one of these big totes that just barely fits in the back door and that keeps everything contained. It has room for fold up chairs and other stuff. It does get a little heavier than I would like, but the bike pulls it fine. My 83 has plenty of power, you just have to pay attention to not have to stop real quick.

RandyA

I always camp, on very rare occassions will I get a motel room. For many years I could accrue comp time at work instead of overtime pay. I would take at least one 6 week and a 3 week trip solo and then another 2 or 3 weeker with the wife. (She only had so much vacation). I have towed a trailer on many of these trips but perfer not to. I learned to carry one extra change of clothes, more underware, leather jacket with liner, rain suit(it will shed the cold also). A sleeping bag -10, a 2in self inflating mat, and the tent I use is the 6 person A frame Timberline. I eat a mid moring breakfast and then a nice dinner, with snacks throughout the day and drink plenty of water. I ride from 7ish am to 4ish pm.

On occassion will ride late if I want and the weather is right. To identify a place to stop I look for a KOA (but usually nothing close, as I perfer to ride back roads and they are usually close to Interstates) so I have a Woodall's Directory and can always find something in the area (like to shower daily if possible). In the evening after dinner, I look for local event to attend, fairs, interesting sights, high school or college, baseball, basketball, football, what ever to relax. Will even go to a movie in the area. Alot of time is spent at camp writing in my daily trip log about the interesting day and people. If weather gets real bad, I've been known to stay under the roof of carwashes, a bank drive thru and have even spent nights in the back of a U-Haul (with the dealer's permission). But, must admit as I get older, motels looks better all the time, but the campgrounds, national and State Parks seem to be cleaner and smell better than the small town motels. Forgot to mention have used my MC cover on several occassions, just slide my matress and sleeping bag in and lights out till morning, keeps you warm and dry. It's all about the EXPERIENCE

Edited by Shamue
add info

Now, I'm gonna throw in a little plug for my Aun't very family oriented campground in NC. GREEN ACRES, in Bear Grass, NC is a great family owned campground if anyone is ever in the area. Bear Grass is near Williamston and not too far from Greenville. Let me know if you're ever in that area, I'll give them a call for you.

http://www.greenacresnc.com/Home_Page.php Tell Bob and Janice, Ben sent you!

Ben

I haven't been to the campground but we go down to DeadwoodNC in Bear Grass. This is a Great place for eating and meeting.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Edited by Uturn