IGNORED

LED power requirements for you elecrical guru's

barend

I'm in the process of installing LED's on my new to me sidecar and am considering tying them as well as all the bike's running lights (LED) into the tail/brake light cirquit after converting those to LED's. I'm installing two (2) 56 LED tail/brake lights, an 8 LED marker light and three light bars with a total of 48 LED's. And finally two 20 LED fog lamps. The bike would get the 19 LED tail light. Assuming that I am not going to exceed the current draw from the current two 1157 tail lights, my concern is that the wire supplying the tail light may not be big enough to pull that trick off any way. Am I correct that as long as I don't exceed my current amps I should be OK??

Hope I stated that accurately! Thanks

From the information I have been able to find, it appears a dual intensity LED tail/brake light with 100 leds will draw .2 amps in tail light mode and 2 amps in brake light mode.

I'm not sure how much the stock bulbs draw, I would assume about 1.6 amps in tail light mode and 6 or 7 amps in brake light mode. The only info I could find on incandescent 12v bulbs was the info that two 50watt headlights and two 20watt tail lights on a car will draw a total of about 11.5 amps.

I replaced my tail/brake light with the 32 LED setup and it is about three time brighter than the stock bulbs and I would guess it draws less than 1 amp total in brake mode. In tail light mode it is as bright as the brake light use to be.

But again, I am not positive.

I replaced my tail/brake light with the 32 LED setup and it is about three time brighter than the stock bulbs and I would guess it draws less than 1 amp total in brake mode. In tail light mode it is as bright as the brake light use to be.

You recall where you got the 32 LE bulbs? I ordered the 30 LED from Superbright but the bayonet is incompatible.

Thanks for the feedback, my main concern is overloading the wire and frying that.

You recall where you got the 32 LE bulbs? I ordered the 30 LED from Superbright but the bayonet is incompatible.

Thanks for the feedback, my main concern is overloading the wire and frying that.

I got it from Custom Dynamics, http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm they have a 32 LED board and a 100 LED board for the Royal Star.

• 1 month later...

Most of your LED lights pull less then a half amp. that is one hole tail light. So it is very unlikly you will ever over load. I use to build truck beds, we went to LED lights on the new chevy trucks. To get the flasher to flash right we had to send the truck in to have the computer reprogramed to get the lights to flash right. Not enough amps were being drawn.