IGNORED

CB (portable) Question......

I don't have factory fitted CB on my Venture (different laws in Oz)but have Ed-Sets for helmets, and Bill Morphy at Mic-mutes told us how to get around the "no CB" problem and install the mic-mutes too.

My question is: How could we install portable (hand held) CB unit on the handlebar of my bike, to hook up to intercom system??????

Can anyone recommend good ones?

Then later on would look to have CB set up (linked) on Quicksteps bike for rider to rider communication????

I have one of these on my Valkyrie, great radio, has intercom with the two place unit...

http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

I gave one of these to a friend so we could have rider to rider and it seems fine, although I don't know if it's got comm capabilities...

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=31

Edited by dr_bar

I assume from your post that the CB frequencies are not available for personal use in OZ. If that's the case not only will you be breaking the law but there won't be many people to talk to. Pretty handy to be able to communicate when you end up in a group.

In the States a lot of the short range radio communications has gone over to FRS/GMRS, including on motorcycles. You might ask other riders, that might be a better option for you.

I assume from your post that the CB frequencies are not available for personal use in OZ. If that's the case not only will you be breaking the law but there won't be many people to talk to. Pretty handy to be able to communicate when you end up in a group.

In the States a lot of the short range radio communications has gone over to FRS/GMRS, including on motorcycles. You might ask other riders, that might be a better option for you.

Micarl, We have had CB's here for years. We have one we use in the car--and Quickstep uses one in the truck. I don't really know why I didn't get the factory CB in the bike?? I was told it was something to do with our laws/system.

What does FRS / GMRS mean?????:confused24: Quickstep said over here most are now UHF.

I emailed a company (cellset.com) that Bill Morphy at Mic-Mutes recommended and they sent info on their FRSet and harnesses that would allow for portable CB to be mounted on handlebar, and connected to the Venture intercom. They said I would need a radio with two audio connectors: 3.5mm speaker output & 2.5mm audio input.

His FRSet requires that the PTT switch provides a return path to ground for an interval relay coil connected to 12Vdc.

So now I'm back to checking with AirRider, or Bill at Mic-Mutes to see if the PTT switches I purchased do that!!:think:

This is Aussie Annie now :bang head::bang head::doh::doh:

Annie, you may want to talk with a local radio shop or some local documentation before you go through with a CB purchase to make sure that the CB you are getting is setup for the frequency range that your country uses (which may or may not be the same as another country).

In the U.S. the CB band (commercial use) operates between the frequencies of 26.965-27.405 MHz range. This, by definition, is NOT UHF.

The UHF CB radios operate in the 477MHz range (476.425 - 477.400 MHz range).

Hope this helps!

Annie, you may want to talk with a local radio shop or some local documentation before you go through with a CB purchase to make sure that the CB you are getting is setup for the frequency range that your country uses (which may or may not be the same as another country).

In the U.S. the CB band (commercial use) operates between the frequencies of 26.965-27.405 MHz range. This, by definition, is NOT UHF.

The UHF CB radios operate in the 477MHz range (476.425 - 477.400 MHz range).

Hope this helps!

Yes it does lilbeaver -- and thanks:thumbsup2::thumbsup2: Now all I gotta do is find one for the motorcycle that's UHF :think: