IGNORED

Abs plastic welding

Bubber

Any insight on welding ABS plastic?

Equipment used? Brand, Model #... so on and so forth.

Airless or air?

I am looking at an airless with temp control and was wondering if anyone here has some experience.

I have done bodywork back in the day, I weld and have the patience to to these kind of repairs. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Just thought I would ask the group for their advice. :yikes:

Bubber

aka Steve

I used a soldering gun with a flat-tipped end. I had some major cracks in the bags and trunk on my '87 ... welded them up and filled any gaps with ABS 2-part epoxy.

Sanded that smooth... a bit of primer/filler, a bit of spot putty where needed and it was fine.

Anybody out there have some broken or cracked parts that I can fix? I need a little practice on some ABS. I just ordered a ABS welder and weld rod. I would like some that don't need to be returned or some that you just want to have repaired. I will do a write-up on the first ones and then post it here for others to comment and add to.

HELP! Please.

Bubber

aka Steve

Post pics of the results.... :thumbsup2:

I've never welded ABS but have been pretty successful using IPS 2354 for the hairline cracks http://www.rplastics.com/weldon2354.html and IPS Weld-On 16 for replacing broken pieces http://www.rplastics.com/weldon16.html. Works pretty good and easy to use. The 16 can be applied over fiber glass matt for those areas that get a lot of stress.... The stuff basically melts the ABS and chemically welds the pieces together.

Edited by Condor

So what are you saying Condor, you ain't got no broken pieces you want to donate?????

OR giving alternatives? LMAO.

Well I bought it and I got a long cold winter to play with it (my welder that is) so I need some pieces to try it on. DO I have to go clothes line a couple of snowmobilers or what???

I have a promise of a saddlebag to try it on. But I would like to try a couple of things first.

A Little help her please?

Steve

So what are you saying Condor, you ain't got no broken pieces you want to donate?????

OR giving alternatives? LMAO.

Well I bought it and I got a long cold winter to play with it (my welder that is) so I need some pieces to try it on. DO I have to go clothes line a couple of snowmobilers or what???

I have a promise of a saddlebag to try it on. But I would like to try a couple of things first.

A Little help her please?

Steve

:sign20: Everything I have is perfect...:whistling: