IGNORED

RSV CB Problems

daviddebbybianchi@yahoo.comI have a 2008 RSV and have had many radio/cb/tape deck/ intercom problems from the day I bought it new a year ago. The dealer has been very understanding and has tried everything Yamaha has allowed them to do'

The problems are these, Enging ignition noise (spark plug noise) in the intercom, the tape deck shorted out, the cb is now give a CB/ERR message on the display when it is turned on.

So far the cb has been replaced, the controller replaced(3 time over the year) the wire harness from the controller to the cb was replaced and still the problem has not been repaired.I think the problem could be in the main wire harness for the bike.

Has anyone had this problem and if so what was done to correct it.

Yikes!

The static in the headsets related to the interference with the ignition can be addressed by installing mic mutes. That way you don't hear it all the time.

As for the other stuff - I'd take advantage of that warranty and if the dealer says they've done everything and you are still getting an error, then sounds like it is time to find a new dealer...

The CB error could be a few things. 1) The CB unit itself, 2) The main radio unit, 3) the remote on the handle bar 4) Like you said, a problem with a main harness somewhere - ie a wire got pinched or something. Regardless, I'd push for the audio system to get fixed, correctly - including the CB and tape deck, then worry about the static in the headsets later.

I recently replaced the main radio in my 01 RSV (replacement was a remanufactured radio from Clarion, dated 2007) and I now have the static problem many others have mentioned so it may vary from radio to radio.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Maybe someone else will jump in with more useful information.

Good luck!

Should be covered under the lemon law, if you have the same problem after 3 times it is considered a lemon and should be totally repalce by the manufacturer. I got a new motor in a pickup because it kept on blowing the head gasket, after the third time it blew the gaskets, and after speaking with an attorney who told me about the lemon law.

Lemon law does not apply to motorcycles and boats. At least the fed version doesn't

Each state has their own version of this. Here is the deal for Texas:

Revised Civil Statutes, Art. 4413(36) §§ 3.08(i) (General Warranty Complaints), 6.07 (Warranty Performance Obligations), 7.01 (Judicial Review/Appeal)

Summary of code:

4 unsuccessful repairs when 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following second repair attempt, or 2 unsuccessful repairs of a serious safety defect when 1 occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following first repair, or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles and at least 2 attempts were made within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles.

Regardless of the ability to apply the lemon law in this case the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty ought to cover whatever it is you need for this to be made right.

Hope this helps.

When I encountered a recurring problem with my Vulcan in 98 I was informed Ky excluded them. I'll buy my next new one in Ohio!

That information is correct for Ky.

here are the statutes I could find that relate to it:

For Kentucky Lemon law: § 367.840 to 367.846 - This explicitly excludes motorcycles, campers, etc. BUT you ARE covered under the Magnusion-moss (spelling) warranty act. So there IS some protection.

Thanks to all for the lemmon law advice, I am considering it and will talk with the BBB about filling a case if the dealer can't get this resolved. The warranty has been paying the bill so far. I would prefere getting the problem fixed than going through the hassel of legal stuff.

• 1 month later...