IGNORED

Delo 400 15w40

footsie

I know we have beat this horse to death, and I have always advocated Mobil 1 syn.

Some background on where I am going with this, before I became a Nurse, i was the Public Works Director for Turner County, in Georgia. 10 years in that position and 15 years before that as the assitant director and the Shop forman.

We used delo 400 15w40 in everything, the caterpilliar motorgraders have something incommon with our motorcycles, WET clutches that run in the engine oil. and at the time CAT recommended Delo 400 for the engine, transmission and every where else, on these machines. They still use it there now. We never had an oil related failure in any thing.

We were running graders 20,000 hours before any internal engine work. Can not remember any clutch problems.

Ok to the point, I walked into O'rielly's and bought oil for the cars, van, and was getting the oil for the venture, and noticed the Delo 400 was $12 for a gallon. the mobil one I use is $9 a quart.

I decided to go home and compare the data on these two oils.

Delo is rated for use in all engine applications

Both are rated for wet clutch applications.

The Delo has a higher bearing load than the mobil one.

The best I could fine on the net, Mobil is a 300 hour oil.

Delo is a 400 hour oil, The oil analysis we did at 250 hour oil changes on the cats always showed around 60 to 70% of the oil life used (that was at 250 hours) meaning the oil could have been run close to the 400 hour mark. (Caterpilliar recommends 250 hours oil changes) All that depends on how the engine is preforming, air filters, oil filters, temp and other factors.

After looking at all of this, I found myself thinking, why am I paying $40 for an oil change when it could be $12 for the superior oil. I change every 5000 miles anyway, that is only about 100 hours on the oil.

I many here run Rotella 15w40, which is simular to Delo 400, don't know what rotella hour rating is, but I put the Delo 400 in my RSV.

Will post the results over time, I had very little chirp or whine with the mobil.

Gregg

When I first got the bike. I put Rotella 15-40 in it and she liked it fine. My last change I put in the Delvac and the bike likes it but shifting was a little smoother with the Rotella. Plus if I really jump on it the clutch will slip a bit with the Delvac. I heard it has a small amount of Moly in it. So, that might be the reason for the slip. Next change I'm gonna try the Delo 400. After that I'll go back to the Rotella, unless the bike really likes the Delo and shifts better than the Rotella. :smile5: They are all good lubes......

I've been following the forums on the different oils used here and from the beginning I ran Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w-50 until the last change when I tried Rotello 5w-40 Synthetic. I have found that the Mobile seems to hold up better. I can't be sure but the Rotello did seem to make the bike want to shift better when the oil was new. Last weekend I put about 700 miles on the bike and it started getting harder and harder to find neutral. The reason I change in the first place was to go to a lighter oil for the winter. I have noticed that I get more gear whine with the Rotello than I did with the Mobil 1. This is probably just because of it being a lighter oil. I have only 1500 miles on this oil. Further testing is in order I'm sure, but right now it looks like I'm going back to Mobil 1 after this run. I haven't tried the Delo yet. I do know that a lot of heavy equipment run on this oil.

But if you will look at the fomulation, delo 400 and rotella are not the same oil, they are close. But as best I can tell, rotella is rated at 300 hours.

But its not clear on the web what its hour rating is, I talked with Murry at Cat and he thought that was right.

Gregg

If you find something different please post it.

O'riely's carries delo, as do most truck stops.

After reading this post a few times lately I have determined it would be wise to give DELO 400 a try. If it's good enough for Caterpillar, well, you know...

So I went to my local O'Reilly's a little while ago to buy a gallon and surprise of surprises, they offered it to me BOGO (but one get one), so I am now the proud owner of 2 gallons of oil for which I paid a total of $13.77, tax included! Now that's righteous...

Just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to twist some arms at your local O'Reilly's sometime soon.

TERRY

When we got home from the crab shack, that made 1500 miles since I changed the oil, bike does shift better with the delo, Still seems quieter, but I was using mobil 1 4t racing 10-40, the delo is 15-40. that could explain the difference.

Gregg

Just realized that was 1500 miles in 10 days, got to buy another bike to split the miles up on. I want this one to last 10 years.

Edited by footsie

I like Rotella but for those kinda prices I'll be getting 6 gals of Delo for the next two changes on our 3 bikes.

:mo money:

If your are running the dino oil, there's not a great difference between the rotella and the delo, you should not really tell any difference.

Except a few dollars in the billfold, which is another tank of gas.

Gregg