the reason i bought a 1st gen because when cruise control and i went bike shopping she yells a cross the showroom floor " HAY OLD MAN MY BUTT FITS THIS ONE ,THIS IS THE ONE YOU ARE BUYING " i thank her often . she tells me every time we get done with a ride " i love my bike " and i say " yes dear " :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The later '85s had the transmission 2nd gear fixed so they are safe to buy as well. The nice thing about the 85 is the larger trunk with the removable saddlebags. Of course the 86 up had bigger saddlebags, but the 1300's aren't quite as quick as the 1200's. Either way, chances are you won't find a more comfortable bike. Just make sure you get a Venture Royale and not the standard for better installed options.

The floorboards tend to get pricey and are hard to find stock ones for a 1st gen for the driver. The '86 up had floorboards for the passenger and can be made to work on the 83 to 85 with little work. There are aftermarket boards but they get pricey as well. Best to get one with the boards already on them, unlessyougo the route of highway boards mounted on the crash bars.

It is nothing to get well over 100,000 miles on a 1st gen, so don't be too concerned with one with over 50,000 miles on it. There have been some people that have gotten over 200,000 miles on theirs. Also, you havde a lot of tech support here on this site, and very helpful people as well!

I agree with Don & Bob. I think the 86-93s were also more comfortable with floorboards. The early ones were kinda awkward with boards IMHO. That being said I like the earlier ones outside of the 2nd gear issue (just missed a beauty of an 85 without the problem on eBay). I don't use the boards and I think the early bikes are a wee bit quicker. I also like the removable luggage even though it's slightly smaller.

Guest Popeye

I had a Goldwing before my 86VR & it was fine.

One word of caution, If bike is 20 years old with very low mileage, it has probably been stored a long time....WARNING!!

I'd get one with proper mileage on it.

I got mine with good tire tread, but tire rot from age.

It was stored w/o gas in tank, rust messed-up my carbs & fuel system.

However, the Ventures [Royales = loaded w/ CB, stereo, cassette player, cruise control, adjustable air suspension, intercom, adjustable rear seat, etc.] & are incredibly reliable & comfortable on long trips.

Myself, I just don't like 'EARS' on my engine, like the Goldwing, even though it's a fine scoot.

The tech support on this site has to be experienced to be believed.

Also, we do a lot of rides, rallies, meets, & have a support system of member contacts you can print for nearly every state...just in case.

I have an 84 but 2nd gear was fixed. Once that is done it's great, so if the bike had it fixed or low mileage, might be fine. As far as I know, the frame issues were with 83, not 84 and up but ask guys around here, they know more than me. Obviously the youngest you get, the better it gets as they fixed the problems. But the color is also a factor for me and I did not want to repaint the whole thing now.

IMO, if it was stored for a while but properly would not scare me but it might need a good tune up and a bunch of other stuff. That's what happened to mine...stored a while. I changed everything from spark plugs and wires to gas filter and descicant in the back, etc...but I got it at a great price and with the help of everyone here got it going in no time. I took it out all summer and I love it! Great ride!

Either way, no matter what you get, unless new...expect to get your hands dirty and make sure it's A1 before getting a passenger on.

As for price, in my area, I had an 86 and 84 at same price. 84 had less milieage and looked better so I went for that. Would I have been happier with 2nd gen? I have no clue...would I be happier with a younger model? Hummm...LOL

My 2 cents.

Looking at getting a 1st gen venture. any advise ?

wife wants something comfortable and would like floor boards and a radio..

I suggest you might want to check out a 2nd gen...

It has comfort, floorboards, radio, that pleases the wife, and it comes with a 5 yr warrenty, which is appealing too..:whistling: