IGNORED

Monoshock Linkage problem

Guest ssparks905

Guest ssparks905

I've been working on my engine for the last few months and it looks really nice now. However, since I have the engine out of the frame there are a lot of other things I have been doing as well. Now before I put the engine back in, I decided to install zerk fittings in the shock linkage of this '89 Venture Royale. :thumbsup2:

The linkage design was changed between for the '88 model year. There are two shafts, one joins the front linkage to the rear linkage, the second joins the shock to the front linkage. It took a lot of force to drive the first shaft out and it looks like it had never been lubed. rust pits in the shaft, dust seals disintigrating, etc. Then I tried to remove shaft 2. I used the bolt that threads into it , loosened it about 1/4 inch and used a drift punch against tthe head with a 16 oz. hammer. No movement.:confused07: I soaked it with WD-40 and bought a 10X100 bolt (twice as long as the original), threaded it fully into the end of shaft 2 and hit it as hard as I could with a 24 oz. hammer about 30 times:starz:. It moved enough to get a feeler gauge under the head of the shaft. I think I'm going to have to remove the monoshock and use a hydraulic press to remove this shaft.

In case there are other problems, does anyone know if the 83-87 version of the linkage will work on the 88-93s? I can get a complete linkage addembly from PinWall for about $40 plus shipping and I think I will just to get the shaft and bushings. The eight bushings run about between $14 and $18 each and the shafts are $21 each from MRCycles.:(

Any advise on how to get the shaft out would be appreciated since I don't have a hydraulic press. I can't get to the front end of the linkage while it is still on the shock.

I'll get pictures of the engine up soon, with the repaired paint and polished side cases!

Take a bunch of photo's of this job, and get them to FreeBird to be posted in the permanent maintenance library.

There are a lot of 1st gens that need this job done.

I pulled mine about 40K, they came out, but not easy. I also installed the zerk fittings. Makes life a lot eaiser !!!

Guest ssparks905

My question is still open... Does anyone know if the monoshock linkages from an 83-87 VR will fit in the 88-93 VR? The linkages are different with the shaft that joins the front linkage to the rear linkage not passing through the Monoshock on the 88-93 version.

Thanks