IGNORED

Shinko tire question

I'm debating whether to buy a pair of Shinko tires..The price is enticing but I can't seem to escape the old addage " you get what you pay for"

My question is: has anyone put over 15k on this tire and can offer a positive testimonial after doing so...

Inquiring mind wants to know :confused:

Thanks

The rave over Shinko tires started on this forum not long ago, so I doubt if there's been enough time for anyone to ride 15,000 miles on a Shinko.

I got my first (front) Shinko Tourmaster 230 in late June. Since then I've ridden a little over 4,000 miles on this tire. So far, so good. It shows very little wear, it handles fine whether wet or dry, no problem on grooves or grated bridges. I check tire pressure at least once a week, keeping it at 40 psi. I live in a beautiful rural area in Maryland, with lots of excellent country roads in the four-State area; I ride rather "spiritedly" on these roads. So far, so good.

If I can get 10,000 miles, safe miles, out of this front tire, I'll be quite happy. Since I ride 12,000 miles per year, I shouldn't have to replace this tire until spring 2010.

I doubt if anyone will give us a 15,000-mile report any time soon. We'll see -- the jury's still out...

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Hey Bobcat, I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at a new set of tires but am afraid to spend too little even though I'm on a tight budget. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, I just don't want to regret having not bought the expensive tires in the first place.

Blue Giant, if I had to buy a new front tire for my Venture Royale, I would get another Shinko Tourmaster 230, even though I've ridden only 4,000+ miles on this tire.

I consider it a bargain, even after only 4,000 miles -- with lots of tread still there. The Shinko is quiet, and does a great job under all reasonable riding conditions.

Try it anyway -- you'll like it.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I'm with Nick on this one, I bought a set of Shinkos for my '89 and I'm very pleased with their performance so far. I want to mention something here, most tires I have ridden on, all the major brands, are shot by 15K and I mean SHOT.

I personally have never gotten much more than 12K out of a tire, especially a rear one, on any mfgr. I personally change both tires out at the same time, I know some go 2 to 1 back to front, but I like the idea of having 2 new tires at the same time. I too understand the though of you get what you pay for. But like anything that has a brand name you are going to pay extra just for that name. I have been a diehard Avon Venom advocate, they have been excellent tires for me, but by 12K the rear needs to be changed for me and how I ride, which can be very spirited at times. If I can get 10K out of the Shinkos, have relatively the same performance and save half the money....I'll do that. Worst case if you buy a set of Shinkos is you'll spend the money for 2 that you would for one of any other major brand. I am running them for test purposes right now, but if they perform as I hope, I will continue to buy them as long as the price doesn't go crazy

:2cents:

I will add that they did take a bit more weight to balance than some of the other tires I have used. But I have not had any adverse handling issues from having a bit of extra weight for the balance.

I purchased a front and rear Shinko for my V-Strom this summer and immediately went on a 2500 mile trip. The front is doing great, looking new and handling is fine. The rear gave me some trouble with cracking occurring in the treads and what appeared to be de-laminating on the rear. Since I had purchased the tire through a web site I was concerned about service however they put me in contact with the vendor who immediately sent me a brand new tire. In fact I got it faster than the original order to my surprise. I replaced the tire and have had the bike down with other repairs at this time so have not been able to test any further. One thing I did learn from the vender was that my air pressures I had from Suzuki were not the best and that the pressures on the tire were better to maintain. All this said I can honestly say that I am happily surprised with Shinko's customer service, hopefully the tires will continue to perform admirably as well. When you can get both a front and rear for less than one main brand rear I say that is worth trying.

All the best,

I'm with Nick on this one, I bought a set of Shinkos for my '89 and I'm very pleased with their performance so far. I want to mention something here, most tires I have ridden on, all the major brands, are shot by 15K and I mean SHOT.

I personally have never gotten much more than 12K out of a tire, especially a rear one, on any mfgr.

I must disagree with you on this one...My current front tire is a Metzeler 880, and I can't hardly believe it myself, but it has 31,000 on it..Its ready to be changed but it still isn't that bad (suprisingly)..I get about 17-18K on the rear...I have never failed to get at least 20k from a front tire...Maybe it has something to do with where I live (Nevada)..Lots of flat open roads..

Thats why I asked the question about has anyone gone 15K...If no one has reached that then that would tell me the tires are not that big of a bargain...Mind you, that's only my opinion...:2cents:

Edited by bobcat

Hey Bobcat, I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at a new set of tires but am afraid to spend too little even though I'm on a tight budget. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, I just don't want to regret having not bought the expensive tires in the first place.

Thats my sentiments exactly...thats why I posed the question regarding Shinko tires..I want to be convinced that they are not a POS..

I must say that members seem to be satisfied with them..

I must disagree with you on this one...My current front tire is a Metzeler 880, and I can't hardly believe it myself, but it has 31,000 on it..Its ready to be changed but it still isn't that bad (suprisingly)..I get about 17-18K on the rear...I have never failed to get at least 20k from a front tire...Maybe it has something to do with where I live (Nevada)..Lots of flat open roads..

Thats why I asked the question about has anyone gone 15K...If no one has reached that then that would tell me the tires are not that big of a bargain...Mind you, that's only my opinion...:2cents:

No worries, it's hard to know how folks ride their bikes and the conditions that they are put through. Obviously my experience has been with Michigan for a majority of the miles I rode.

I do understand that most folks get 2wice the wear from the front as opposed to the rear. Myself, on my bikes, is a lot of 2 up and loaded fairly heavy on trips. Good luck with the quest and when I get to that 10K mark on mine I'll come on a give a report on how they are holding up :happy34:

Thats my sentiments exactly...thats why I posed the question regarding Shinko tires..I want to be convinced that they are not a POS..

I must say that members seem to be satisfied with them..

I think I may give them a try. All I have ever had on my bikes are Bridgestone Spitfires so I don't know if there is better tires out there. The new set I put on my XS11F last year seem fine! The bike handles well but of course it's only a 600lb bike not an 800 lb one that carries a passenger most of the time.

Bobcat said:

"Thats why I asked the question about has anyone gone 15K...If no one has reached that then that would tell me the tires are not that big of a bargain...Mind you, that's only my opinion..."

Bobcat, the reason no one has reached 15,000 miles on a Shinko is that none of us have had it long enough to reach the 15,000 miles, or even the 10,000-mile goal.

That doesn't mean the Shinkos aren't "that much of a bargain." The jury is still out. Deliberate some more until all the evidence is in.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Bobcat, the reason no one has reached 15,000 miles on a Shinko is that none of us have had it long enough to reach the 15,000 miles, or even the 10,000-mile goal.

That doesn't mean the Shinkos aren't "that much of a bargain." The jury is still out. Deliberate some more until all the evidence is in.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Point taken Nick....I think I'll go ahead and get one then I'll forever know how well it does..