IGNORED

Got my Kuhmo mounted up today

flb_78

Took 125psi to seat the beads. I'll get some pics up soon.

Tire installers use a paste (not sure what it’s called) to help seat a tire. It helps to put a ‘thin’ smear of that stuff on the ‘rim’ beads first before you even try to mount the tire. Then put another ‘thin’ smear to the tire bead before you mount the tire. Once you’ve done that and slipped the tire on the rim you may have to reapply another ‘thin’ smear to the same areas but it’s better to do it that way to ensure the paste is contacting the surfaces where it needs it the most.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have any ether so I used something else. No, I not going to tell you what it was on this forum because it is very dangerous, moreso than ether!! The reason I am not telling is because some idiot who has never been expose to this stuff will try it and use too much and will wind up killing himself. BUT.., if you use ether you might want to reinstall the valve core before doing this or be very quick with the air hose, because this doesn't seat the beads and the tire will pull back away from the rim if not.

The paste you are refering to is called Murphy lube, comes in a green and white bucket with red lettering.

As a friend of mine, who owns a tire shop says, its slicker than snot.

Gregg

In the vehicle workshops here on Base, it is nicknamed "Monkey Snot"..............

• 2 months later...

Back in the day, we use to put a little dawn dish washing liquid, maybe 5% to 95% water in a container that hung on the tire machine. Apply that liberally around the rim and tire beads with a little cotton tipped metal swab and the tire will seat effortlessly.

Here's a trick, do the above prep then place a ratching tie down strap around the circumference of your tire. Your beads should be touching the rim now. If not apply more pressure with ratchet. Start air into tire and take strap off when you hit about 15 lbs pressure. Then seat. Like i said before , if your tires lubed it should pop on effortlessly.

I also like to apply mixture before taking old tire off, it realy helps.

Shouldn't have to ever use more than 50 lbs. to seat a tire or you stand a good chance of ruining it. That being said, I'll admit I dont know anything about Truck tires, but if they take more than that I'm going to be in the next room. Know a guy that was leaning over his quater midget race tires and was blown through the floor of his house. He lost many many body parts and went through years of surgery.

Another thing, have more than one tire gauge. If they start to stick buy a new one. Its not worth a tire blowing up on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, The deal went thru. I am now the proud owner of a 2007 Midnight Venture. Speedo reads 492 miles, it still has the breakin oil in it as it's suppose to be swapped out at 600 miles. As soon as I get the title back will take to the Yamaha dealership to do a once over and get the registration switched over to my name. SHE SURE IS A BEAUTY. Not a scratch oh her and I believe a bargain at $13,000, PLUS, shes still under warranty, Sweeeet!... :mytruck1:

After the tires wear out am planning on trying a ct on rear (Kumho?) with a Avon e3 on the front.

Question:

Is the Kumho, the roundest profile tire, out of the 6 or so tires that will fit?

Edited by CaptainJoe
5 sets of opposable thumbs... LOL

They all have a rounder profile than most people think. The Kumho has done great for me. For three times the price of a Kumho, the Vredestein should be a good tire too. The Federal is about the same price of the Kumho and Pegscraper has had good luck with his.

It's pretty much which one you can find but my choice is the Kumho. Good Luck!

FYI, Dunlop makes the E3. Avon is the Venom. Both good tires.