IGNORED

Whats your choice for buying tires online?

I'm getting ready to buy a new front tire online for my 86 VR (120/90 18)...I've mostly used competition accessories but I thought this time I'd ask other members where they get their tires online and why...

Thanks in advance

Bobcat, I get my tires from Motorcycle Superstore.

The last tire I bought from them was a Shinko Tourmaster 230, also for the front, 120/90-18.

Go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6187/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Front-Tire.aspx

The price is excellent, $58.99 plus shipping ($6.99). Shipping is free if one buys over a certain amount, which I forget. Even so, $6.99 for shipping a tire is a superior deal.

I've had this Shinko on the front of my 1988 Venture Royale for 4 months now, and not quite 4,000 miles. This tire performs flawlessly on all kinds of road surfaces and weather. Metal grate bridges and pavement grooves don't affect the handling much at all.

Before I bought the Venture in the summer of 2008, I had a Suzuki GS1100GK. I bought a Shinko, same type, (100/90-19) for the front of the Suzuki. Same excellent results. I sold the Suzuki after only 3,000 miles on that Shinko, so I can't tell you about longevity.

Longevity is the only question I have about the Shinko. If I can get 10,000 safe miles out of this front tire, it will be the deal of the century. It's wearing just fine at this time.

Some people may badmouth the Shinko because it's so inexpensive. Don't believe them. Try one for yourself -- they've probably never ridden on a Shinko. I have, on two different motorcycles.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I too purchase my last tires from Southwest moto. Good prices and great service...

There is a site I used to use for Motocross parts..RockymountianATV now has a sister site now... www.JAKEWILSON.com

They have street bike stuff...and looks like some good prices on tires.

I know the sister site was dang hard to beat for service and prices

orders over $99 free 1-3 day shipping.

They are good folks I know for sure. You want to shop them also.

Great information since I am in the market for two tires. This summer a buddy of mine with my help we bought a balancer and changer. No more high dollar tires and mounting. He has three bikes and I have two (right now) so this should prove a good business venture. Of course all our friends want theirs done free also.

:farmer:

Great information since I am in the market for two tires. This summer a buddy of mine with my help we bought a balancer and changer. No more high dollar tires and mounting. He has three bikes and I have two (right now) so this should prove a good business venture. Of course all our friends want theirs done free also.

Every time I read about tire prices in the US, it makes me annoyed at our much higher mc tire prices here in Canada. The price for a front E3 here in Ontario ranged from $180 to $250 (MSRP in Cdn$ inc taxes). I installed the E3 myself with a friend. We removed the replaced tire by cutting around each sidewall and I was able to mount the new tire with no problem. However, I would not want to do that job too often. Your changer/balancer sounds like a great purchase!

Every time I read about tire prices in the US, it makes me annoyed at our much higher mc tire prices here in Canada. The price for a front E3 here in Ontario ranged from $180 to $250 (MSRP in Cdn$ inc taxes). I installed the E3 myself with a friend. We removed the replaced tire by cutting around each sidewall and I was able to mount the new tire with no problem. However, I would not want to do that job too often. Your changer/balancer sounds like a great purchase!

I got mine thru the dealer and it was only 10 above the online price I found for the D404's. As a side note to my Canadian friends in BC.. Skagit Power Sports in Mt Vernon/Burlington Wa has a first come first serve Saturday. Order your tires on line and have them sent to my house on Camano. Then we can meet at SPS and they will mount/balance them. Not sure how much they charge but there should be a few dollars savings anyways.

:rudolf:

silverdeer

Gary N. Since you are also in Canada....How do they send the tires? Courier? USPS? What are you being charged at the border....customs....taxes....duty.....brokerage fees....etc?

While this question was to Gary, I can offer some info based on my recent attempts to purchase tires from US sources and have them shipped to me in Toronto. Many places such as the Motorcycle Superstore will not ship tires to Canada, although they ship other products. Those that do mostly ship by UPS. I could not find any source in the US who would ship a tire to Toronto for less than $100US. When you add that to the cost of the tire, it is hard to save compared to Canadian prices where many such as Zdeno's in Waterloo will discount MSRP's by 25%.

Gary N. Since you are also in Canada....How do they send the tires? Courier? USPS? What are you being charged at the border....customs....taxes....duty.....brokerage fees....etc?

Find a US address to ship them too and go for a road trip. If you pick them up on the US side, there should be NO duty, when crossing back. However to bring them across the border you are suppose to claim them and the pay the tax, unless you have been on the US side for more than 72 hours, which allows you I think it is up to 750 per person.

Brad