IGNORED

SC licensing

barend

Keeping my fingers crossed that I may be able to get my sidecar hooked up soon so decided to look into licensing in SC for sidecar riding and found that there are two categories for sidecars: detachable sidecar that is always attached and sometimes attached. Guess some politician figured another way to seperate us from our money. :headache: I know there are some sidecarists in SC, do you have a class M with D or C and I can't find info on the three wheel tests. 'Preciate any help!

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx

Three-Wheel Motorcycle Endorsement

On June 2, 2009, Governor Sanford signed a new law concerning three-wheel motorcycles. Because of this law change, a three-wheel motorcycle endorsement is no longer required to operate a three-wheel motorcycle. Citizens can now operate a three-wheel motorcycle with any class of license except a moped class G license. This law change excludes a motorcycle with a detachable side car. To operate a motorcycle with a detachable side car, the customer must hold a class M motorcycle license. SCDMV will no longer administer three-wheel motorcycle tests.

To operate a trike you don't even need a motorcycle endorsement at all now. Before June there was a program to liscense trike drivers but it was canned. A guess on my part but I think the process was too expensive considering the number of people that needed one. I did get as far as taking the written test and getting "learners permit" for my trike before it was cancelled.

Hey Gunny,

Just came back from the DMV and discovered that! The are now instigating a SC3 rating (or something) for sidecars but couldn't tell me what it entailed since the examiners haven't received any training yet and won't start getting any for another two weeks. Since I didn't tell them whether I had a license they did tell me I could get a permit and ride the bike and sidecar on that. Still would need a separate MC license if I were to want to ride without a chair.

This thing is going to look wicked :thumbsup2: Even before matching paint!!