IGNORED

Saddle bag (adjustments)

I couldn't find anything on this so here goes.

A local dealer changed a rear tire and never put the metal sleeves back in the left saddlebag....within 100 miles I got a nice big crack in the rear. They accepted responsibility in April and I just got the new bag...finally (but they did it).

They didn't want to touch it again and that was fine so I mounted it today and the cover doesn't seem to want to close properly.

I am leery of bending the tongues and don't see any other adjustments. I tightened the sides first and bottom last to minimize twisting the bag.

Any ideas what I might try....I could live with it but it was nice when it locked on just a drop of the lid as opposed to a hardy push..

Thanks in advance

You could try loosening the hinge screws and see if that helps, but in your case, I would demand that they take care of it.

After all they screwed it up to begin with. Glad I don't have dealers like that!

Steve

Truly, I am afraid to let them or any dealer touch it.

You did give me and idea that I can try washers to push them out a little further?

Make sure that you have all of the rubber and metal spacers in the correct location, or that might throw it off. (for the bag assembly to the bike)

The latch assembly is an amazing work. That might just need a bit of tweaking also.

In fact, thinking about it, the latch is a good place to start.

Steve

I'm about to take my scoot to the dealer for warranty . I had to go out of town on business last weekend . I locked my shorty helmet and wallet in the saddle bag . Nothing was binding on the lid .When I came out to unlock the lid to get my helmet out , it would not open . Button pressed all the way in and no un-hooky ! I was out of the loop as far as getting any help . So I had no recourse but to jerk the lid open . I tore the screw tabs where the latch was secured too . I sat there after I got the bag open and inspected the latches . Internal parts were laying in the bottom of the cover of the lid . I had put the latch back together , but do not want this to happen again . I have already talked to one of the salesperson of my dealer and told her about my mishap . She told me she has heard of this before and said I should have no problem getting it fixed/replaced under warranty . My concern is that I do not want to have another key to worry about . I already have a locksmith on standby !

BEER30

did ya try loosening the screws that hold on the latching tongues and pulling them down? Seems to me there's a little play in those.

and my 2000 bags don't always close by just dropping them, sometimes I need to give 'em a little push. I put trim on the trunk- and that needs a BIG push now- but not as bad as before I adjusted the tongues- wouldn't even close at first with the trim.

did ya try loosening the screws that hold on the latching tongues and pulling them down? Seems to me there's a little play in those.

and my 2000 bags don't always close by just dropping them, sometimes I need to give 'em a little push. I put trim on the trunk- and that needs a BIG push now- but not as bad as before I adjusted the tongues- wouldn't even close at first with the trim.

I'll take another peak at those. Maybe I was spolied with the last ones....they were just so smooth.

The wife tried it and said "It's not really bad." so I gave her that bag to use for her stuff!:cool10:

I got a new bag that's like that. I think its the gasket is a little thicker for some reason. I just close it and then push down (both hands over where the catches are) slowly increasing push till I hear the latch click. Its been over a year and the thing is just startin to loosin up a bit

I got a new bag that's like that. I think its the gasket is a little thicker for some reason. I just close it and then push down (both hands over where the catches are) slowly increasing push till I hear the latch click. Its been over a year and the thing is just startin to loosin up a bit

That might be it? I am really thinking it's more me than the bag. With time and compression...it will probably be fine!

That could be it, but there is also an adjustment on the latch.

Steve