IGNORED

Wobbly Clutch Basket

Just purchased an 88 Venture with 60K miles, history is fairly unknown but bike is clean. Clutch slips so replaced with Barnett plates and their spring kit. Clutch had, and still has, a pretty loud thumping when idling in neutral. Quiets down somewhat with lever pulled in and is smooth at >2K rpms. Like glass on the road.

I noticed the outer clutch basket was fairly wobbly when I pulled the clutch pack out, maybe 1/4 - 3/8 inch depending on how it was measured. Looking around for pictures there seems to be a pressed bushing instead of a replaceable bearing for this surface.

Reading other threads I deduce that this type of noise may be normal for these older Ventures.

Seems there could be an issue down the road (and possibly a serious rear wheel lockup) if this wobble continues to deteriorate. Of course with the clutch pack installed you can't detect the wobble, it tightens everything up.

New basket PN# 26H-16150-00-00 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR COMP is upwards of $300 which I'm OK with if it will prevent a problem down the road but I can live with the noise if it is a known common problem that is just noise.

Any opinions from veteran high mileage venture riders?

Thanks from a Venture newbie.

You can pick up used clutch baskets and bosses on Ebay for very little.... I can't remember if the sloppiness is normal or not. The slight noise is and is coming from the tranny when in neutral. Decreases when the lever is pulled and the tranny stops turning.

Welcome!! Probally didn't need the Barnette clutch only the springs the clutch plates themselves hardly ever wear out. But at least you know it won't be slipping. Thinking about doing that myself just for the peace of mind but mine brings the front wheel up easy in 2nd and I think 3rd at times so its not slipping much.

Thay do have a little slop in them.

Mine has the same problem. I can move the basket up and down about 1/4 inch. Also can hear the same knocking sound, but it just keeps going. I'm at about 93k.

I was told the bearing that holds the clutch shaft need to be replaced. But that requires splitting the case.

Guess I'll just ride!!!!:322:

Noise is a little un nerving and it's NOT slight. Can feel the thumping when holding he clutch cover. But if it's normal and doesn't get worse I'll ride on.

The inner basket which is connected to the tranny shaft spins free and doesn't seem to have any play so I guess?? that is OK??. I did see the post about splitting the case and replacing it due to broken cage in the bearing behind the basket. Could that be the noise I'm hearing even though the shaft spins nice?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

After having my clutch cover off more than once and basket out for other issues. The most recent this spring. I can say. That much play is NOT normal. Mine at 70+k has next to no play. The play often results from using a 10w40 instead of a 20/50 or 15/50 oil and long periods of idling when under very hot conditions.