IGNORED

Second opinion on 26K service?

I am due for the 26,600 mile (42,000 Km) service. The maintenance manual says that at 26.6K, a valve clearance check and adjustment needs to be performed.

I called my dealer and was estimated 3.5 hours of labor and $400. From his description of what should be done, it seems that they'll perform a 4,000 mile service. "It is a very thorough service", he said.

Does this seem reasonable?

Dave

Dave,

I think its time for a Maint. Day!! There are some folks that live close by that know how to do that, and save you some Big bucks! Unless it is required for your warranty:confused24:

I only have 20,000 on my `01 and its out of warranty, so I and some of the fine folks from this site do all of the maint. on it..

I am sur others will chime in..

take care and ride safe!!

Kreg

I still have more Fajita Meat including some Beef for you Kbay, the bike is running great, finally got to ride Sat (in the rain).

By the way thanks to and Don for the help the other day enjoyed the company and work.

Also the Beki asked why I did not use the onions, peppers and cheese oops.

Kelly

:missingtooth:

Dave,

I think its time for a Maint. Day!! There are some folks that live close by that know how to do that, and save you some Big bucks! Unless it is required for your warranty:confused24:

I only have 20,000 on my `01 and its out of warranty, so I and some of the fine folks from this site do all of the maint. on it..

I am sur others will chime in..

take care and ride safe!!

Kreg

I don't know that it is required for my warranty, but I don't want them to be able to make a claim. Ya know?

Dave

This brings up an interesting point. How do you prove that maintenance per the Yamaha Schedule was done if you do it yourself?

Its been suggested that that keeping receipts for oil and filters and rear gear oil and a maintenance record should be acceptable for the low-tech maintenance.

But what about something more complicated like your valve clearance check and adjustment. Would pictures of the the tools and and valve covers off suffice? How about a receipt for valve cover gaskets at the time the work was due?

3.5 hours for a valve check/adjustment is much better than what my dealer charged which was 8 hours labor.

DT

I have been told that it is an all-day job. I was also told it was a $250 job. I guess $400 is somewhere between those.

This brings up an interesting point. How do you prove that maintenance per the Yamaha Schedule was done if you do it yourself?

Its been suggested that that keeping receipts for oil and filters and rear gear oil and a maintenance record should be acceptable for the low-tech maintenance.

But what about something more complicated like your valve clearance check and adjustment. Would pictures of the the tools and and valve covers off suffice? How about a receipt for valve cover gaskets at the time the work was due?

It's a tough point. The major tasks are the ones where I could save a lot of money doing myself. At the same time, they are the ones that would be most disputed (I suppose) in the case of a warranty repair.

I've mainly decided that I'll have the dealer do the non-trivial services, thereby showing a commitment to "doing it right". *shrug* I work with the assumption that if a business wants to do things in bad faith, I can't stop them.

Dave

I was told by the dealer that the first service and the 26k service need to be done by a qualified Yamaha mechanic in order not to void the warranty. Normal service ie oil and filter change ect that if I keep the receipts that was good enough. Different dealers may differ in this so I would check with the dealer. I hate taking my bike to a dealer because it always seems the next time I clean it there is a new scratch.

Mine will hit the 26K mark this fall trip upcoming. I too would like to do the valve clearance check myself, but

1. I've never done it and would want adult supervision, and

2. I don't want to worry about the warranty either.

So, I'll probably check with a couple of dealers and get bids on doing the work. My local dealer is OK, but never overly helpful. I bought the bike in AR, so a dealer is a dealer up here!

Dave,

If you're concerned about warranty issues, pay the $400.00. If not, we can do it. I have the shim kit, but I am waiting on the tool to arrive. If you are using Houston Motorsports, the service manager Brian is pretty lax about doing your own service. He even suggested I buy my own kit and do it myself as they are usually backed up about three weeks for heavy service.

It's quite a time consuming event. After having done it, I can see why the dealers charge so much.

Ponch

Not only do you NOT need to let a dealer perform maintenance to preserve your warranty, but it is even illegal under federal law in the US for a dealer to even tell you that!

Not DOING the required maintenance CAN void your warranty, but only for claims that the manufacturer can reasonably show are directly related to the required maintenance you did not have done. In other words, if you skip the valve check/adjustment at 26,000 miles and later have a burned valve, they can deny that repair under warranty. But if you later have a gear fall out of your transmission, they cannot deny that repair, as the failure would have absolutely no relationship to your skipping the proper valve maintenance.

You will need to buy valve cover gaskets to do the service - just keeping that receipt is reasonable proof that the service was done. If you want more, all you need to do is take a picture of the bike while it is torn down. Federal law specifically allows you to do any scheduled or required maintenance yourself (or have it done by anyone else whom you choose) and still keep your warranty valid.

I know Ponch has already offered to help, and I will too - I have the tools needed, so just ride that thing on up here and we'll get 'er done!

Goose

One other service related comment for all of you - Do NOT skip checking and adjusting the steering head bearings! If you ride many miles with them loose, you WILL ruin them, and if you didn't do the scheduled lube at 16,000 miles (I think that is the first one), then you probably won't get Yamaha to fix them under warranty. That lube is a HUGE job, kinda like the valve adjustment, and it IS important. But keeping them properly adjusted is MORE important!

Not only do you NOT need to let a dealer perform maintenance to preserve your warranty, but it is even illegal under federal law in the US for a dealer to even tell you that!

Not DOING the required maintenance CAN void your warranty, but only for claims that the manufacturer can reasonably show are directly related to the required maintenance you did not have done. In other words, if you skip the valve check/adjustment at 26,000 miles and later have a burned valve, they can deny that repair under warranty. But if you later have a gear fall out of your transmission, they cannot deny that repair, as the failure would have absolutely no relationship to your skipping the proper valve maintenance.

You will need to buy valve cover gaskets to do the service - just keeping that receipt is reasonable proof that the service was done. If you want more, all you need to do is take a picture of the bike while it is torn down. Federal law specifically allows you to do any scheduled or required maintenance yourself (or have it done by anyone else whom you choose) and still keep your warranty valid.

I know Ponch has already offered to help, and I will too - I have the tools needed, so just ride that thing on up here and we'll get 'er done!

Goose

One other service related comment for all of you - Do NOT skip checking and adjusting the steering head bearings! If you ride many miles with them loose, you WILL ruin them, and if you didn't do the scheduled lube at 16,000 miles (I think that is the first one), then you probably won't get Yamaha to fix them under warranty. That lube is a HUGE job, kinda like the valve adjustment, and it IS important. But keeping them properly adjusted is MORE important!

:goodpost::sign outstanding::sign yeah that:

You should actually find and copy that section of the Federal Law and take it to your dealer. Tell him that you won't report him to the feds for violating that law in return for a free valve adjustment...which you will need to observe to make sure it is properly done.

Extortion, anyone? :whistling:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Goose

Question. Does the motor have to be cold when adjusting the valves? On my last bike it said to have the motor cold and not to have been run for 24 hours.

Question. Does the motor have to be cold when adjusting the valves? On my last bike it said to have the motor cold and not to have been run for 24 hours.

Yes, all engines must be completely cold when valves are checked. Not really necessary to let it sit for 24 hours, but overnight is always the best, just to be sure.

Goose

Update:

I dropped Roxie off at the dealer, and then waited 15 minutes for my ride. I was getting in the cage when the Service Manager hustled over. He needed to speak to me.

He knows he quoted 3.5 hours of labor, but he just realized what this was and it is really 9 hours of labor. The cost jumped from $400 to $800. His explanation is that he thought this was the 24K service, not the 26K (despite my patience in explaining what I wanted).

In an odd way, this is a bit comforting. I had heard it was an "all day job" and the 3.5 hour quote made me wonder if they were inept. I'm a smidge more confident that they know what they are doing now.

But also, I wonder how the 24K service takes 3.5 hours? Or how the hours treble but the cost only doubles?

Dealers are mysterious beasts.

Dave

Dave,

If you're concerned about warranty issues, pay the $400.00. If not, we can do it. I have the shim kit, but I am waiting on the tool to arrive. If you are using Houston Motorsports, the service manager Brian is pretty lax about doing your own service. He even suggested I buy my own kit and do it myself as they are usually backed up about three weeks for heavy service.

It's quite a time consuming event. After having done it, I can see why the dealers charge so much.

Ponch

Ponch,

Yes, this is Houston Motorsports. I like Brian, especially as he has learned his job. He seemed rather new when I first met him a year ago July. He still doesn't seem to be all that familiar with RSTDs, but I can't really fault him there. But he knows me, and that means something. (He loves blowing the airhorn to surprise the other guy LOL)

He got me in today, and it didn't look too busy. In another three weeks, I'd be doing the 30K service. LOL

Dave

*snip*

Goose

Thank you for the post. I do want to make sure all'y'all know that the dealership did NOT mention warranty issues at all. That is all my worry.

I also appreciate the offers of help. I blew through 26K on my ironbutt three weekends ago, and doing a group ride next weekend that will tack on another 1500 miles. So it is past due and I can't wait.

But, I might ride up and have the steering bearings checked. I had the dealership do the 16K service, but belts and suspenders....

Thanks again for the post.

Dave

No way I would spend $800.00 for something I can do myself, especially if there's no way it would affect the warranty. I like Brian, but I think I would have slapped him if he mis-quoted what I asked for and then doubled the quote. :bang head:

Ponch

Thank you for the post. I do want to make sure all'y'all know that the dealership did NOT mention warranty issues at all. That is all my worry.

I also appreciate the offers of help. I blew through 26K on my ironbutt three weekends ago, and doing a group ride next weekend that will tack on another 1500 miles. So it is past due and I can't wait.

But, I might ride up and have the steering bearings checked. I had the dealership do the 16K service, but belts and suspenders....

Thanks again for the post.

Dave

There really isn't a 26,000 mile scheduled service - there is a 24K and a 28K, and they are virtually the same. I have no idea why Yamahaha specifies the valves to be checked at an odd interval like "every 26600 miles" instead of just putting that in the 28K service. Other than the valves, the only service that is extra big and should cost a lot more is every 16,000, when the swing arm and steering head bearings need to be repacked. The good news for you is the RSTD should be MUCH easier to do steering head bearings than the Venture, where you have to completely remove both the outer AND inner fairings!

$800 and 9 hours for the valves sounds outlandish to me. It IS huge job, but it souldn't take a qualified/experienced mechanic with the proper tools 9 hours - hell we didn't even know what we were doing, and we did the valves on FOUR RSVs in that time! That's not to say that the valves should only take 2 hours, since we were working on multiple bikes at the same time, but it sure isn't 9 hours. I generally would expect to pay $400 to $500 for that service.

I do NOT advise the service interval for valves be skipped, but neither do I think there is anything magical about 26,600. IMHO, waiting until 30K, or even 32K shouldn't be any problem at all.

Goose

• 3 months later...
:goodpost::sign outstanding::sign yeah that:

You should actually find and copy that section of the Federal Law and take it to your dealer. Tell him that you won't report him to the feds for violating that law in return for a free valve adjustment...which you will need to observe to make sure it is properly done.

Extortion, anyone? :whistling:

:big-grin-emoticon:

I am coming up on my 26,000 mile service and would really like to do this myself and save some cash... I have a friend that is in law school and was able to send me this...

Interpretations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

15 U.S.C. 2301

§ 700.10 Section 102©.

(a) Section 102© prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102© prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.

© No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 © ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.