IGNORED

Battery problem again

I bought my bike new in 9/05. Never had a problem with the battery. Went to maintenance day @ Freebirds and installed a mic mute. Parked bike for a week after getting home. Bike wouldn't start because the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and it worked fine for several weeks. Rode all day one saturday and parked bike until the next saturday. Battery dead again. Called the dealer that sold me the battery and they asked me to bring it in and they would test it. The battery was so dead they couldn't get a reading so they replaced it with a new battery at no charge. Shock! The new battery worked fine. I hadn't ridden the bike in a week so sunday I started the bike and let it run a few minutes and switched if off. I could tell the battery was fine sunday because as soon as I switched on the bike you could hear the fuel pump ticking fast with full force. This morning I went to start the bike to ride to work and the battery is dead. Could I have done something when I installed the mic mute to cause this?

Sounds like " Murphy " has you in his sights !!!!

Yes, something is drawing current with Key OFF. I would suggest putting useing a

digital Volt/Ohm, Ampmeter test unit. Hook up in Series with Each fuse, and find which fuse has Current flow, with key OFF. It don't take much. Maby about 1/10 of an amp draw. In a few days of sitting, wa la, dead battery.

I would also check the 3 Phase charging voltage comeing from your Alternator, going to the Voltage Regulator. Make sure your stator is good.

Back to your " New Battery " Question:---??? DID YOU CHARGE YOUR NEW BATTERY AT A 2 AMP RATE FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS ???? With a Real Battery Charger ???? ( not a trickle charger )

I also suggest you Remove the Plug from your Rectifyer/Regulator Unit. Inspect the Pins for Burn damage. Determing if any water has gotten into this plug.

If you find any Damaged, Burnt Pins, you will have to Re-Build this plug. ( this has happend to more then one person with a 2nd gen bike )

Also, find the Main Grounding Point, Inspect the wire studs, remove the bolt and clean it.

Also, Find where the BLack Battery Cable attaches to the Engine, Remove the bolt, Clean, and Check the cable stud for corrosion. ( Resolder the stud to the cable, is a good idea )

Again: Did you FULLY charge your battery??? If the dealer just added Fluid, and handed it to you, WITHOUT CHARGING IT, Then YOU have to charge it ( with a real battery charger )

Remove the battery, Charge it, then let it sit on the bench for about 48 hours and see if it will hold 12.1 to 12.2 volts with nothing hooked to it. IF not, then its a bad battery. Two , Bad , New batteries, boy, Murphy is really after you !!! better run !!!

Thanks for the replies. And GeorgeS, yes both batteries were charged for 8 hours with a real battery charger. A few days after I put the last battery in, I put the battery tender on it all day. It showed fully charged. What doesn't make sense is the battery is strong as long as I am riding regularly. As mentioned I started the bike sunday and the battery was strong. Two days later it is dead.