OK, How about things to watch out for or special tools??

Get ahold of Rocket, he replaced 2 over the week at Cody. The man is a marvel.

I have a few pics, that I took, which will be below.

Remove left side lower fairing, left side case guard & foot peg along with shifter pedal linkage.

Drain oil from the main drain plug & middle gear cover bottom bolt. Re-install drain plug afterwards.

Remove middle gear cover & dis-connect wires for the stator & ignition pickup. Also un-route those wires, so the case can be pulled away to do the inner stuff & clean the gasket surfaces.

Remove outer clip & washer for shift shaft passing through stator case, remove stator case. Remember there is magnetic attaction between the rotor & stator, also the starter drive gears will fall out.

Remove the protective cover for the stator wires (normally #3 phillips screwdriver).

Remove the 3 @ #3 screws holding the stator into place. They can be very tight /difficult (possible threadlocker usage).

Clean all gasket mating surfaces, with stator out & wipe out the inside of the case afterwards.

Install new stator & I use threebond #1194, at the location where stator wires pass through the case. I want to ensure there is no leaks, between case & the rubber.

I grease the gaskets prior to install, as it will seal & make it easier to remove them again, if needed to. I place the gasket onto the engine itself, along with the locating dowels.

Slide the shift shaft, into the case, after lubing. Ensure the linkage is towards the top & no washer has dropped off the shaft, while doing the prior work.

Make sure the starter gears are in position & slide the stator case back into position. You may need to tap the front end of the case with the heel of your hand. Install the Allen bolts, they are just fairly snug & less than 20 Ft Lbs.

Route the stator & ignition pickup wires, close up the retainers & re-connect the wires into the harness.

Re-install the outer washer & circlip for the shifter shaft. Install the middle gear cover, gasket & the Allen bolt with the copper washer, sits in the bottom position (6 o'clock).

Re-install the footpeg & outer shift linkage. Add required amount of oil. Start up the engine & test voltage output.

Re-install anything else removed

I'll back up Rocket's post with 2 additions:

1 - before you pull the stator cover off look at the shift linkage behind it. It can be put back with the linkage upside down which means you will have to take it apart again.

2 - all the phillips screws under the cover (8 of them I believe) are real tough. If you don't have an impact screwdriver get one before you start. Vice grips also might grab them. I've had to drill heads off then extract the remainder of the screw from the case (you can heat them AFTER the stator is out). You might want to go ahead and have some replacement screws on hand when you start the job.

I had to connect them together cause the three wire plug melted down. I have been running it for over a year after the plug melted. I was told to solder them the next time. Is there a flywheel/timing wheel under the the cover??? I'm going to digest the steps and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks, I was beginning to thing I wasn't connected. joe

• 6 years later...