IGNORED

need some brains from a mk-1 rider

I'm out of it then. I added a chin off an '86 or '87 to my '84 and had to change the crash bars out with one from an '86 for the mounting tabs.

I was under the impression that the metal chin mounted up under the crash bar mounts but looking at a pic of Mikes bike it don't look like it.

The crash bars off a MKII have the mounting tabs but they don't look like they would line up for the metal one.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Mike

I'll keep looking through all the pics I have on file. I've got to have something that shows a close up of the chin mounted. I spent a year watching eBay for a good metal chin and finally tripped over an ABS one in great shape and my color. And Cheap! Then I had to find crash bars to work so cheap went out the window. LOL!

Ain't changing stuff fun? I'll be watching this one to find out the end of the story. :080402gudl_prv:

Mike

Thom,

Remove the Radiator cap..... then pull a 2nd Gen under it and replace...problem solved!! :duck:

LOL

Hey, did the tire presure play a role in your handling problem?? I checked my front tire when we got home and it was 10lbs low..... could have contributed to the bad wobble I had...:confused24:

Have a good one, hope you get your chin fixed / replaced...

Kreg

The metal chin cowl utilizes the top bolt from the crash bar with a 1'2 inch spacer for the top holes, this is the bolt that threads into the welded on nut; and the bottom holes hold a through bolt with a 1/2 inch spacer. This bolt goes through a welded in hole in the frame between the middle and upper crash bar bolts and has a nwasher/nut on the inside of the frame. you have to reach artound the exhaust to get to it.

The tab you see at the upper bolt in pic 1 holds the bottom of the lower fairing. pic 3 shows (kind of) the spacer . All four spacers are the same size

Thom,

Remove the Radiator cap..... then pull a 2nd Gen under it and replace...problem solved!! :duck:

LOL

Hey, did the tire presure play a role in your handling problem?? I checked my front tire when we got home and it was 10lbs low..... could have contributed to the bad wobble I had...:confused24:

Have a good one, hope you get your chin fixed / replaced...

Kreg

yep Kreg , that was about 3/4 off the problem , i hope the chin will fix the rest .

Thom