IGNORED

Jinksy is on a desert ride

Jinksy4

Had an opportunity to deliver a Ford Ranger to my son in Las Vegas and decided that this would be a good excuse for a ride. The Venture fit in the short bed - well most of it - about 10 inches hung out on the tailgate. Anyway, got it there in one piece, except for a 3 corner crack in the left front lower fairing - had to get some plastic epoxy to fix that - not good as new but good from 6 feet.

First time for cruising the desert and what an experience. Cool mornings, fierce hot days, and cool to cold nights. The colors in the Mojave as the sun sets are incredible. Had a talk with some rangers before heading out and they gave me a lot of valuable information. The suggested I have a NASA silver blanket for emergency cover from the sun, where long sleeves and pants to not get sunburn and loose too much body moisture, take 4 gallons of water for a 24 hour period, have someone expect a cell phone call at the end of the ride so they can notify authorities if you do not check in, take a tire repair kit and pump (had that covered), and a full tank of fuel of course. Folks don't realize that you could die in 5 hours without proper hydration and protection from the sun.

The temp reached 118 F at about 2 in the afternoon. I travelled at about 70mph to not put the bike in too much of a strain because you tend to smell things getting hot, especially when the cooling fan comes on - which it does and then does not stop until you climb 3 or 4 thousand feet and drop 20 degrees.

Met a few folks on Harleys but they did the too cool to talk bit..... so I just left them. You could smell those air cooled twins from 10 feet!

It was a good day.

Yesterday managed to ride to the south and north rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a 203 mile trip but they are only 60 miles apart – it Is a great ride. The south rim has more great views of the canyon, but the north rim is more fun to get to. There are mucho twistees and a lot more wildlife – which you need to really watch out for - especially later in the day. Met some folks from New York on a Harley that had been on the rode for 3 weeks! Ended up the day heading into Utah to find some dinosaur fossil beds.

Today was another great ride. Did 400 miles through high desert, mountains, and hot valleys. Reached my detination of Varnal, Utah at the edge of the Dinosaur National Monument. Drank about 1.5 gallons of water to keep from drying completely out during the day.

Have some great pictures to load up when I get home.

Spent the last couple days traveling route 50 through Colorado and Kansas. If you want a quick way through the Rockies – this is it. I had spent a little too much time cruising and needed to get headed home. This route is still fun with good scenery but has only 1 summit (Manarch Pass) then it is pretty much canyons and 5000 ft elevation meadows – that is until you get close to Kansas – which then is pretty much a straight shot with little stimulation. Gunnison and the Royal George are highlights in Colorado. Dodge City (which most of the roads were tore up) is a tourist stop in Kansas. Route 50 is the located pretty much on the old Santa Fe Trail with many history stops along its course.

I spent a night in a mom & pop motel in Lamar, Colorado. It was so- so as far as amentities, comfortable for the price. But, it was so cool too. The owner was 82 years old, and after shootin’ the breeze for awhile, took me to a shed where he shared with me his pride and joy – a 1936 Plymouth 4 door, right hand steering - mailman version, complete. He has had it in storage for 40 years and did not have time to work on it because he was always busy with the Motel business. But now, at 82, he is making time to get into running order.

I am having too much fun - but wife says I need to get home before the snow flies.

• 3 weeks later...

The desert ride was great! I will definately do this again because there is just so much to see and do in New Mexico, Arazona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. The Grand Canyon was probably the most impressive out of everything. Even had a chance to do some rock hounding and found some jasper, fossils, and some lace agate.

Here are a few of the pictures - the one in the swimming pool - they are the main reason I went for a ride.

Jinksy4 ... would you mind mapping your route out on Google Maps and posting or sending that to me. I'm asking because Gunnison is the proposed location for next year's Venture West rally and the wife and I are hoping to see some of the grand canyon and stop at Las Vegas on the return trip. Your route sounds much like one we might want to follow.

Great pics! and thanks for mentioning the survival gear.

I gotta ask. What did you use to get the RSV up into the back of the pickup ? The tailgate took the weight of rider and bike ?

I know it looks pretty crazy. I found out from Ford that the tailgate could take up to 100 lbs and the bike is around 800 lbs so there was no way to make it work - even if the weight distribution was 50/50. In a couple days (I know - I'm kinda slow) I came up with using the 2x10 that was about 8 feet long and my sons and I tested it with different weights to see what the transfer would be to the tailgate. Turned out that with the bike strapped on, the support straps on the gate were actually loose.

As far as loading it - I have a retaining wall that comes off my driveway that is the perfect height of the tailgate. That was an experience - I did not take into consideration that the truck would squat 6 inces when loading - tailgate got a little scratched - but it worked.

In Las Vegas we drove around at night until we found some great landscaping at a Dr.'s office and unloaded. Took about 2 minutes to unload - got lucky - but it was Vegas.

I would not suggest that folks use a mini pickup to haul a Venture - the front end is fairly light and you have to drive accordingly.

Jinksy

I would not suggest that folks use a mini pickup to haul a Venture - the front end is fairly light and you have to drive accordingly.

Jinksy

I have a '96 Dodge Dakota V8 and I considered hauling my RSMV home in the back of it when I bought the bike but everyone commented it was not a good idea so I rented a U-haul trailer. Being able to find a loading/unloading place was lucky for you and that's one of the reason's I went with the trailer instead.

I'm pretty sure the Dakota would have hauled the bike OK due to the fact that it's larger than an Explorer plus that it has a V8 ... although I'm not really sure of the payload capacity of the truck.