IGNORED

My I-basket is on the way

I took my '07 RSV into the dealer yesterday for a valve adjustment and to check a couple of other things. One of which was the clutch basket chirp. They ordered the new basket right away and should have it in a few days. I'm going to pick the bike up tomorrow so I'll have it to ride on the weekend and then I'll take it back in next week for the clutch install and valve adjustment. The clutch chirp has started to annoy me and I believe it is getting worse as I put on more miles. I've got about 30k on it now. Hope it helps a bit.

Dennis

I also have noticed that my chirp has been getting worse, or maybe just more annoying now that I have more kms on it. I have tried to get Yamaha to put an I basket in under warranty. It has been a long hard battle, but I believe they are now going to get one for me. However, I mentioned adding Motorkote to the Yamaha Canada rep and she very clearly indicated that I can't put in any additives, as the bike is still under warranty. :scared:

Thought I'd better pass that on in case some of you are adding Motorkote to warrantied bikes.

So, my only option for now is the I basket. Hope it helps.

I also have noticed that my chirp has been getting worse, or maybe just more annoying now that I have more kms on it. I have tried to get Yamaha to put an I basket in under warranty. It has been a long hard battle, but I believe they are now going to get one for me. However, I mentioned adding Motorkote to the Yamaha Canada rep and she very clearly indicated that I can't put in any additives, as the bike is still under warranty. :scared:

Thought I'd better pass that on in case some of you are adding Motorkote to warrantied bikes.

So, my only option for now is the I basket. Hope it helps.

And how would they know you used MK unless you told them? It looks like oil, smells like oil.....they'd have to run an oil analysis and even then they'd have to PROVE that the additive caused the problem. At least that is the way it is in the US. They cannot automatically exclude warranty coverage for use of an additive any more than they could exclude warranty coverage for not using a Yamaha branded oil. The burden of proof is on them.

Yeah, I know most people would be too intimidated to fight them on this issue, but it's the law....at least in the USA. Not sure about elsewhere.

Well, I sure would like to try Motorkote if the i basket doesn't work. Besides, I feel I am already ripped off because it makes the sound in the first place. I thought they would be somewhat happy that there may be a solution that didn't cost Yamaha anything, and which didn't mean ripping things apart. Apparently that makes too much sense. I may try it anyway, as you say, how would they prove I added it?

Hey Dennis, I hope your I-Basket helps as much as mine did.

You can add some MotorKote and help it even more. You'll be amazed what that stuff does.

Joe

How long have you used this product--How much did you add to your oil change--And does the clutch do any slipping???:detective:

Hey Dennis, I hope your I-Basket helps as much as mine did.

You can add some MotorKote and help it even more. You'll be amazed what that stuff does.

Joe

It may for some but did absolutely nothing for me...just an FYI for those who have read all the rave reviews and are expecting good things.

It may for some but did absolutely nothing for me...just an FYI for those who have read all the rave reviews and are expecting good things.

Just goes to prove what I have said many times throughout several different threads on this issue.....each bike seems to be different in how it responds to differing motor oils, clutch baskets, etc.

Some people (mostly those whose bikes do NOT have this problem), as well as the official Yamaha spokespeople, have said that this is just "normal", that most all bikes make some kind of noise. Well, as one who has fought through this issue, and had some measure of success in "treating" this disease....I strongly disagree. If it is "normal", then EVERY Yamaha V4 should make this noise. And since some do not, then it IS NOT AN UNAVOIDABLE characteristic of this engine. No, it is simply an issue of a manufacturer trying to avoid responsibility for shoddy workmanship. With today's available manufacturing technologies, there is no way that I will ever believe that they cannot change their tolerances or gear design to correct this.

Just goes to prove what I have said many times throughout several different threads on this issue.....each bike seems to be different in how it responds to differing motor oils, clutch baskets, etc.

Some people (mostly those whose bikes do NOT have this problem), as well as the official Yamaha spokespeople, have said that this is just "normal", that most all bikes make some kind of noise. Well, as one who has fought through this issue, and had some measure of success in "treating" this disease....I strongly disagree. If it is "normal", then EVERY Yamaha V4 should make this noise. And since some do not, then it IS NOT AN UNAVOIDABLE characteristic of this engine. No, it is simply an issue of a manufacturer trying to avoid responsibility for shoddy workmanship. With today's available manufacturing technologies, there is no way that I will ever believe that they cannot change their tolerances or gear design to correct this.

Funny thing about all this is, it's essentially the same engine as in the 1st gen MKII. My '87 engine was TONs quieter and NO WHINE. Yamaha must have changed engine parts suppliers somewhere between the end if the 1st gen and the beginning of the 2nd gen.

And now, there's even one more whine .... me whining about this!! :rotf: :rotf:

I agree with FreezyRider. If the whine/chirp is NORMAL then all the bikes should do it. Yamaha said the same thing about my GROANING rear shock. It is NORMAL. However, when I went and flexed their new 2009 up and down and it did not make the sound... I pointed out that this NORMAL bike didn't make the sound. Now they are replacing my rear shock and the clutch basket. However, clutch basket has been on back order for two weeks now. Not sure when I'll get it. I hope it makes some improvement though. The dealer also said that Yamaha has had a lot of complaints (even more than Venture) about gear whine on the new Star 1300. Yeesh. You would think Yamaha would learn and make a change.